International Studies Magnet Program hosts eighth graders at Open House

Senior Anna Levy discusses Model United Nations with potential Magnet students. “Many students seemed interested in joining Magnet. They found current issues, and therefore Model UN, appealing,” she said.

Anabel Prince

Fatima Elfakahany, Reporter

Every fall, North Cobb hosts an open house for eighth graders interested in the Magnet Program for International Studies. The event aims to attract the best students from the county to share more knowledge about the school and the program it offers.

“We give them an good overall view of our curriculum, our students, our international flair, and what we have to offer. The participation of students speaks volumes as well,” Mrs. Epps, school secretary, said.

The open house attracted over 600 guests and 80 volunteers.

“I felt that this was the best open house that we’ve held. Despite the large number of guests, it never felt too crowded or uncomfortably empty: there was energy and accessibility throughout,” Mr. Stephenson, Magnet coordinator, said.

Various Magnet students waited for visitors to enter North Cobb. “We were the ones who handed them their folders and walked them to the theater for their presentations,” said sophomore Marie Ow. “We got to talk to them on the way there and promote the program. It was really fun!”
Fatima Elfakahany

The volunteers were essential to running the event. Students presented school clubs, promoted core classes, displayed the varied international opportunities, and advertised the multiple languages available.

“It’s very important that our current students play a strong role in the event, because it allows us to advertise the great things that we do and the fantastic kids that we have,” Stephenson said.

Mrs. Epps believes the necessity of the student volunteers in allowing the program to run as intended played a crucial rule.

“Having a lot of students volunteer shows the student’s level of participation and the extent to which they themselves have bought into the program.Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, and the number of kids volunteering means the students believe in what they’re doing,” Epps said.

A few key students presented the program alongside Mr. Stephenson and Dr. Page.

“I talked about the language opportunities to a roomful of potential Magnet students. Everyone gave a different insight about the life of the Magnet students, such as travel or time management,” junior Alex Flack.

After the initial presentation about Magnet, guests received the opportunity to look at the clubs set up in the cafeteria or ask present teachers questions about various classes. Many students volunteered for the opportunity to promote their own clubs.

“I was there to make people more aware of our teaching opportunities as a professional program. The open house was a really good way of getting potential Magnet kids interested in a program that isn’t well known,” sophomore Andrew Garaspini said.

Other students were asked personally by either Mrs. Epps or Mr. Stephenson to participate in the event.

“Mrs. Epps asked me to volunteer to present our Magnet program.  I needed community service and I thought telling people about Magnet would be a really good opportunity to get them interested. It was really fun,” senior Alex Mancuso said.

Senior Zach Connolly presented to the guests in the theater after Mr. Stephenson. “I felt like getting to hear first hand experiences about Magnet really influences their decision on whether to apply for Magnet or not, which is why it’s really important,” he said.
Fatima Elfakahany

Many students felt the opportunity to introduce North Cobb was an enriching one and a way to give back to the school that welcomed them when they first came.