Collaborative project combines advanced drama course with broadcast video

After the collaborative meeting with students from drama, Tomahawk Today’s cast start to bring their ideas to life and film new videos for the viewing party between the two classes.

Sabrina Kerns

Emmett Schindler, Reporter

For the past two weeks, the audio film and technology program and the advanced drama program have worked together to brainstorm and make videos for Tomahawk Today.

Mr. Dempsey wanted to collaborate with the drama class to receive input on videos to make them even better than they are now.

Two weeks ago, Mr. Dempsey’s first period class visited Mrs. Oz’s drama class and started to brainstorm ideas for short films. After discussion, the students were placed in groups and thought of their own video ideas. Each group contained around five to seven people in it, with at least two students from the film and technology class each.

After two days of making scripts, each group presented their idea to the rest of the classes. Each group received feedback, trying to make each video the best it could be. Once everyone knew what they were doing, the groups started to figure out filming locations.

Once preparations were made, filming commenced. Some filmed during first period, while some needed  to stay after school or go somewhere else to film. For instance, one of the groups did a video on homecoming fails, where they showed multiple ways to ask someone to homecoming, but ended up not being what they planned for. This group used a classroom, the NC  field, and the parking lot all during first period.

Finally, once all the videos were done filming and fully edited, the two classes held a viewing party. After every video, the students gave feedback to each group on possible improvements.

This project between the two classes helped all the students learn new skills. Oz’s class learned about how filming is different from theater and the basics of editing. Dempsey’s class got to know more about acting and got to help brainstorm video ideas. In the end, each student can say they received a beneficial learning experience.