Five steps to a perfect pampered holiday P.M.

One+may+light+a+scented+candle+and+sit+down+with+a+long-awaited+book+for+a+relaxing+evening.+Unplugging+from+electronics+and+subsequently+the+internet+allows+stress+levels+to+decrease+and+one+to+focus+on+oneself.+With+the+holiday+season+quickly+approaching+and+people%E2%80%99s+lives+becoming+increasingly+chaotic%2C+people+should+strive+to+set+out+time+for+themselves+regularly.+

Jessica Joachim

One may light a scented candle and sit down with a long-awaited book for a relaxing evening. Unplugging from electronics and subsequently the internet allows stress levels to decrease and one to focus on oneself. With the holiday season quickly approaching and people’s lives becoming increasingly chaotic, people should strive to set out time for themselves regularly.

Jessica Joachim, News Editor

As the Christmas season approaches, people rush to stores to find gifts for their loved ones, forgetting the valuable gift of self-care as a result. With Christmas breaks and more opportunities for free time coming along, students and other people gain the ability to save time for themselves. People may find nighttime as the best time to take for themselves as they follow along with these steps.

Step 1: Unplug

Studies show that extensive cellphone use significantly threatens the mental health of individuals by causing high levels of stress. Remove cellular devices and other electronics from your surroundings to clear your mind. Instead, try picking up a book or spending quality time with family, the perfect combination for a sound and peaceful night. 

Step 2: Make yourself a snack and a drink

After a busy day, one must satisfy their hunger with a nutritious and delicious meal—preferably holiday-themed. Satisfy your sweet tooth by making Christmas tree brownies and a warm cup of tea or hot chocolate with it.

Step 3: Make a homemade face mask and sugar scrub

Devoting time to maintain an overall skincare routine not only helps improve one’s face but also their mental health. Start using face masks as a part of your evening routine. A homemade face mask provides an easy and inexpensive alternative to pricier face masks which may contain artificial and damaging ingredients. Follow this simple recipe for an all-natural oatmeal face mask using these common household ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons of oatmeal
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon of honey

To accompany glowing skin, make a DIY sugar scrub for super soft skin. Follow this recipe and ingredients for desired results:

• 1 tablespoon of raw honey
  • 1 tablespoon of brown sugar

Step 4: Take a shower/bath

After a long day, a nice long shower or bath helps calm one’s nerves when preparing for a peaceful evening. Lighting scented candles around the home and popping a bath bomb into bath water will encourage ultimate coziness.

Step 5: Sit down with a book

The perfect way to end the night: cuddling up with a great book— yes, the one stuffed underneath all the papers on your desk over the past three months. To accompany the ongoing holiday theme, read a Christmas inspired book recommended by Oprah.

In a hectic week, one regularly forgets to take time out for themselves. Individuals should remember to spend time alone and relax. Set out a couple of hours per week to focus on yourself and take steps to improve your mental health.