5 ways for teens to make money

Jenny Loveland

Through the use of technological advancements, making money from one’s personal phone remains easier. By taking steps to expand profits through simple tasks, one can start to put more money toward fun activities. Although these ideas do not always provide a consistent or reliable way to make money, they do help teens cover smaller expenses.

Jessica Joachim, News editor

As teenagers, appealing activities like concerts, sports games and college applications tend to drain money from already limited funds. In reaching one’s senior year of high school, students can spend an estimated $10,000 or more on senior activities and memories including prom and testing fees. While not all expenses remain mandatory, students can feel pressured if they feel they miss out on a school event. Although the option of working at a job appeals to students, this opportunity does not fit all schedules. However, with these tips students can start to lighten the burden of the expensive high school experience.

Start a YouTube channel

When aiming for high-quality production, starting up a YouTube channel requires at least $300 to $500 for equipment including a camera, microphone and possibly editing software. Creating a YouTube channel not only allows influencers to potentially make money, but it also allows people to expand on their passions. Now, with more technology, people can use their film-making skills in their careers.

Use your skills

Developing a hobby not only helps teens to find a way to spend their extra free time but allows them to also profit off of these skills. Whether students can bake or sew, selling these items for a reasonable and just price can slowly help to make money on the side.

Use cashback applications

The popular cashback app Ibotta helps customers to earn money back on items by uploading their receipt. While the app requires users to spend money first, shoppers do not need to go out of their way to retrieve rewards. Rebates start at  $.10 per item depending on availability.

Sell unused items

In the closets of teens, years of compiled clothing fills the space to rims. A study showed that 82% of clothing remains unworn by Americans. By selling clothes, students can earn extra cash and clear their closets of clothes that otherwise would go to waste.

Become a mystery shopper

Mystery shopping allows people to work with their schedules and watch over businesses without actually working for the company. Shoppers can choose which business to assess and either get reimbursed or paid for their work. They review their experiences and report back to independent or third-party vendors. Pay for this job starts at $8 per task.

While not all of these tools allow students to make money quickly or consistently, they provide the opportunity to eliminate smaller expenses. By practicing affordable spending and implementing these tricks, students can make strides towards a less stressful senior year.