Senioritis finally spreads to NC students

Everyone+contains+their+own+limits+regarding+how+much+energy+they+can+put+into+a+task+before+they+overwork+themselves+and+fall+short+of+their+goals.+For+a+generous+amount+of+students%2C+this+energy+runs+out+senior+year%2C+right+before+they+graduate+and+reach+adulthood.+The+negative+mindset+results+in+poor+grades+and+a+foul+mood.+However%2C+numerous+solutions+can+allow+seniors+to+finish+out+their+senior+year+stress-free.+

ABC eyewitness news, edited on Canva

Everyone contains their own limits regarding how much energy they can put into a task before they overwork themselves and fall short of their goals. For a generous amount of students, this energy runs out senior year, right before they graduate and reach adulthood. The negative mindset results in poor grades and a foul mood. However, numerous solutions can allow seniors to finish out their senior year stress-free.

Hannah Gresham, Features Editor

As students glimpse the finish line and realize the race to graduation will soon come to an end, it frequently feels like they do not need to put as much effort in. In just a couple of months, seniors will graduate high school and move on from a major stage in their life, and for most, it cannot come fast enough. 

The term “senioritis,” a common affliction affecting students all around the world, represents the lack of motivation felt by students who will shortly reach the end of their high school careers. Despite sounding like a real condition, a sizable portion of seniors use it in a joking manner, anticipating their new adult life. 

The lack of effort collectively felt by seniors clearly exists though, negative words echo throughout the hallway as people slowly give up on their homework and studying. As grades gradually drop and procrastination becomes an everyday occurrence, teens nearing adulthood may drop expectations for their grades. Yet, colleges still watch closely at students’ performances through their senior year to see if they possess the discipline and maturity to carry on till the end. 

“I feel like when you get to a certain point you are just kind of over high school. I am just ready to start my life after graduation, and school feels like a drag right now. I know I need to put in the effort, but it’s difficult because mentally I’ve already graduated,” senior Nyema Head said. 

In spite of the crippling “disease,” students can take several steps to overcome this inhibiting affliction and finish their semesters off strong. Tactics such as setting goals, keeping a schedule and staying involved can aid in motivating seniors. 

Goal setting obligates students to take action and learn the expected content. It also helps them grasp important life skills such as planning, organization, and time management while also building communication skills, self-awareness, and confidence. This strategy helps set a clear path for seniors and allows them to see the positive outcomes to their schooling. Similarly, to-do lists to aid in writing out important tasks and combating work overload.

“In order to stay motivated, I like to make a to-do list so I can feel accomplished when I check stuff off. It’s also good to find friends who are striving to be their best self as well because we can study together and make sure we’re all doing our homework on time,” senior Ansley Jones said. 

Socializing in school provides students with communication and healthy relationships, which can make school feel less like a chore. Staying involved and befriending those who possess similar goals builds a strong support system. Without strong bonds, the lack of motivation that pops up senior year may increase tenfold, and grades will suffer as a result.

Incentives also supply students suffering from senioritis with additional motivation for when they complete milestones or any important assignment. Rewards such as a fun night out with friends or something as simple as coffee can boost seniors’ spirits. 

While no one can continuously keep up a positive mood, finding small ways to improve the last couple of months of school pays off. Seniors will soon walk the NC hallways for the last time, and years from now reminisce on their high school days. So for now, students must remember what they hope to accomplish and anticipate the rewarding feeling they will experience when they receive a diploma. 

“I continually remind myself of my end goal: going to college and studying to do what I love. I know that this is just temporary and in the long run, my effort will be worth it,” senior Harmony Harvey-Morris said.