“Ticket to Paradise” lands superbly at box office

Universal Pictures / Courtesy Everett Collection

Film director Ol Parker guides viewers through a romantic comedy and easily wins the hearts of millions with “Ticket to Paradise.” Movie theaters flooded with movie fanatics with heightened anticipation from trailers, social media posts and fan-favorite actors endorsing the film. The movie causes heart-wrenching emotions and concludes with a feel-good ending ultimately providing fans with satisfaction. The movie’s impressive use of Hollywood techniques and romantic comedy adds “Ticket to Paradise” to the list of classic movies everyone must watch at least once.

Jasmina Buranich, Co-Copy Editor

America’s favorite romantic duo Julia Roberts and George Clooney finally produced another film and marked their fifth appearance on screen together. The romantic comedy “Ticket to Paradise” stars the famed duo of Georgia and David Cotton, taking viewers on an emotional rollercoaster with laughter, anticipation and excitement. Universal Pictures released the film Friday, October 21, and welcomed thousands of Roberts and Clooney fans into theaters.

SPOILER ALERT!

The movie begins with Georgia and David explaining the problems within their five-year marriage that ultimately ended in divorce. The side-by-side scene shows Georgia in a coffee shop with her friend and David playing tennis with his friend. As the scene continues, the audience notices the classic comedy within their relationship that sets the tone for the rest of the movie. The film’s use of parallel editing engages the audience by showing two separate events and deepening the storyline. 

The divorcees plan to see each other for the first time in several years due to their daughter, Lily, played by Kaitlyn Dever, graduating from law school. At the ceremony, Georgia and David sit next to each other and the humor begins as the petty arguments unfold in a matter of seconds, creating a light-hearted yet comedic environment within the theater. Film director Ol Parker uses their bickering throughout the movie to engage the audience and to represent typical arguments with divorcees. These moments put “Ticket to Paradise” on the list of classic movies to add to movie fanatics’ streaming queues. 

“I want to say the graduation scene was my most favorite. This is the first we see them together on screen because we only heard them talking about each other. It really shows us how hilarious their relationship is and definitely helps us understand why they divorced,” freshman Laylah Miller said.

After graduation, Lily heads to Bali, Indonesia with her friend to celebrate her degree. As she swims in the ocean, the boat leaves her behind and she must swim to shore. Fortunately, a young, attractive, Balinese man by the name of Gede, played by Maxime Bouttier, rescues her. Filmmakers use the typical love-at-first-sight trope to establish a core element and win the hearts of hopeless romantics.

Lily and Gede decide to marry and send a wedding invite to her parents through an email. The ex-couple unknowingly booked the same flight to convince her to pause her wedding, and unexpectedly sit next to each other. This scene establishes irony within the film stemming from the graduation scene, as the duo must sit next to each other for a second time.

For mutual benefit, they decide to end their arguing and settle on working together to put an end to Lily’s marriage. This part of the plot filled fans with satisfaction as they finally saw the two finally working together and acting as a couple.

As the trip continues, Georgia and David justify their actions with their failed relationship, explaining how they wish someone warned them. Conversations throughout the movie provide the viewers a deeper insight into the problems within their past relationship and easily stand as the best scenes within the movie. 

David, Georgia, Lily and Gede must stay the night in a rainforest after David causes the boat to float away. In the morning, Georgia and David experience a romantic moment and exchange a kiss, but laugh the awkwardness away and claim it will not occur again. From this clip forward, “Ticket to Paradise” met the criteria of an amazing rom-com and although the kiss ended quickly, the scene won the hearts of the audience and set a new romantic chemistry in the film. 

The engaged couple gives the wedding a second chance and asks Lily’s parents for their blessing. David’s wedding speech causes emotion throughout the crowd, and at last, Lily marries Gede. 

“I am going to admit that I was hoping that Lily and Gede would not get married because I wanted better for her. I know that she would have fun in Bali but then by marrying Gede she will probably not use her law degree. The wedding was nice but I did not want them to be together,” Miller said.

As the divorcees leave the island,  they hold hands and talk about moving to Bali later in their lives. Georgia’s famous line, “why save the good stuff for later,” sparked emotion and influenced significant choices in their past relationship. The movie concludes in the best way imaginable as she inspires the two to jump into the ocean and return to the island. Viewers can only hope that despite the never-ending bickering, the iconic duo winded up together after all. Filmmakers such as Parker frequently end movies in a way that the audience can conclude what happens after and leave a film’s end to the imagination.

The Chant’s Grade: A+