Three underrated houseplants

Courtesy of Phoebe Cheong
Ancient Egyptians decorated their homes with plants, seeking to infuse the beauty of nature into their living space. Today, over 64% of Americans own at least one houseplant. With over 10,000 species, people can purchase plants at their local department store, or even grow them from seeds.

Amid the chaos of daily routines, a natural remedy quietly thrives in the corners of homes: houseplants. Beyond their aesthetic looks, these green companions possess stress-relief characteristics. A 1989 National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) study revealed the air purifying powers house plants obtain. The study also explained that the soil in houseplants actively combats cancer-causing chemicals, such as formaldehyde and benzene. While countless people keep popular plants in their homes such as the Snake Plant and Fiddle Leaf Fig, the therapeutic potential of several remains hidden.

“I volunteered with the NC Greenhouse Gang through the National Honor Society (NHS) and that experience got me really interested in plants. I started researching some plants I could put in my room that are low maintenance since I have such a busy schedule. Right now I have two plants and they make my room look a lot cuter,” senior Mariah Arnold said. 

With its slender arching leaves featuring red edges, the Dracaena Marginata adds elegance to any indoor space. This plant excels in air purification, eliminates toxins and contributes to a fresher environment. It also promotes a sense of tranquility, reducing anxiety and mental fatigue.

Care tips:

Position the Dragon tree in bright light near a window for optimal growth. Water this plant once every one to two weeks, allowing the soil to dry out between waterings to prevent overhydration. Regular pruning can help maintain its graceful form and stimulate new growth. 

“I have a dragon tree in my bedroom and I love the way it looks. It does not require much maintenance, just a little water here and there. I also turn the plant every once in a while so all parts of it can get sunlight. I would definitely recommend buying this plant to add in homes,” Arnold said. 

The String of Pearls plant introduces an airy grace with its unique cascading strands of bead-like leaves, resembling a delicate string of pearls. Not only does this succulent contribution create a jungle oasis vibe, but it also serves as a popular and essential spiller component in arrangements. 

Care tips: 

This low-maintenance succulent flourishes with bright light, well-drained soil and minimal watering. To avoid the risk of root rot, utilize a well-draining soil mix like cactus mix or introduce inorganic materials, such as pea gravel or sharp sand. Opt for a shallow container, preferably clay, to facilitate efficient evaporation and prevent overwatering.

Calathea Orbifolia features round leaves adorned with silver patterns. Ideal for busy households and pet owners, this plant acts as a silent guardian by trapping dust, scrubbing toxins and releasing photosynthesized oxygen into the air. It also induces feelings of calmness and alertness.

Care tips: 

Caring for Calathea Orbifolia involves maintaining consistently moist soil. Place the plant in bright indirect sunlight, preferably near a window, or provide filtered light through sheer curtains. Avoid direct sunlight, as it can lead to leaf burn and color fading. Supplement care with regular fertilizing, high humidity and a warm environment. 

From cultivating the health and beauty of individual plants, NC students can take their passion for greenery to the next level by joining the GreenHouse Gang. This community allows members to plant a variety of greenery, host events and cultivate not only indoor plants but also flowers and foods. Students can join during the fall or spring semester, or participate during both semesters for a comprehensive experience.

View Comments (1)