NC takes the gold on senior night

The+NC+varsity+football+team+%288-2%2C+5-0%29+closes+off+the+regular+season+with+a+win+against+the+Osborne+Cardinals+%285-5%2C+0-5%29+Friday%2C+November+4+at+the+Emory+Sewell+Stadium.+The+team+now+prepares+to+take+on+the+first+round+of+playoffs+Saturday%2C+November+12+to+play+the+Denmark+Danes+%286-4%2C+2-3%29.+With+a+perfect+region+score+for+the+Warriors%2C+students+and+fans+anticipate+the+results+of+the+playoff+season.+

Jasmina Buranich

The NC varsity football team (8-2, 5-0) closes off the regular season with a win against the Osborne Cardinals (5-5, 0-5) Friday, November 4 at the Emory Sewell Stadium. The team now prepares to take on the first round of playoffs Saturday, November 12 to play the Denmark Danes (6-4, 2-3). With a perfect region score for the Warriors, students and fans anticipate the results of the playoff season.

Jasmina Buranich, Copy Editor

The NC Warriors varsity (8-2, 5-0) football team hosted the Osborne Cardinals (5-5, 0-5) at the Emory Sewell Stadium Friday, November 4. The game not only wrapped up the regular season but also served as NC’s senior night.

Prior to the match, NC welcomed families to recognize the seniors that contribute to Friday night football games. Beginning with NC’s Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (NJROTC), each senior petty officer walked down the field escorted by their loved ones. Parents and students in the stands then honored the senior football players and trainers in the sports medicine program. Next up, NC’s eight senior cheerleaders took the walk as their teammates rallied around them. To conclude the evening’s festivities, NC’s large senior class in the marching band program strolled on the green.

To start off the game, senior kicker Javier Morales (93) kicked off to Osborne. Within the first play, junior defensive back Elijah Lee (23) received the forward pick from the Cardinals’ quarterback.

After several hand-offs from sophomore quarterback Nick Grimstead (15), the Warriors entered the 20-yard line and junior all-purpose wide receiver David Eziomume (2) scored the first touchdown of the game making the score 6-0. Morales enters the field again to earn the extra point, and his kick brings the Warriors up 7-0. Eziomume marks the only player between both teams to score during the first quarter, as NC’s defense held up Osborne. 

Entering the second quarter with Morales’ kick, senior middle linebacker Andrew Trelles (54) makes a tackle on Osborne’s senior running back Khalif Walters (6). Within less than two minutes of the Warrior’s offense entering the field, senior running back Benjamin Hall (7) heads for the endzone and puts the Warriors up 13-0. Morales makes the effort to gain the extra point bringing NC to 14-0. 

With minutes remaining in the first half, Grimstead handed off the ball to senior running back Jordan Allen (18) earning another touchdown for the Warriors. To conclude the first half, Morales’ kick succeeded yet again and gained the extra point (21-0).

For halftime entertainment, NC’s marching band program and color guard performed on the field. The audience watched as the students presented this year’s program, “Kokopelli Dances”. Friday stood as the last time several students would perform, as the regular season ended and playoffs begin next week.

“[We decided to dedicate our summer to color guard and I] spent the majority of my time with my team. I can remember the long nights when all I wanted to do was sleep. But knowing the outcome would be this absolutely amazing show, I am so grateful for being there every day, senior color guard member Andrea Meneses-Calderon said.

NC begins the second half with a bang as Grimstead’s pass to senior wide-receiver Yasin Muhammad (27) scores a 47-yard touchdown (27-0) within the first minute. With a successful kick from NC, the Warriors receive the extra point (28-0).

After NC’s defense holds up the Cardinals, NC’s offense enters the green. A pass to Allen puts the Warriors yards away from the endzone. Grimstead ran the ball and the Cardinals tackled him into the endzone which brought the Warriors up 34-0. NC kicked off to gain another point and concluded the night’s scoring (35-0).

With NC’s impressive defense, the Cardinals failed to score for the remainder of the game. Considering the point difference, the clock ran and the Warriors walked off the field with a win ending NC’s regular season with a perfect region score of 5-0.

“[The football team] had the “next man up” mentality while going through the season. We are an entity and we succeed together. Any one of us can take over for each other. Everyone stepped up in their own way to play their role on the team,” senior captain Bryan Graham said.

For the final ceremony, athletic director Matt Williams granted head coach Shane Queen the region trophy with the team huddled around him. The first round of the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) playoffs will take place Saturday, November 12 at the Emory Sewell Stadium against the Denmark Danes (6-4, 2-3)