The best music artist of the past century

Evan Fernandez

Eddie Van Halen and the rest of the noteworthy rock band Van Halen changed the sound of rock and pop forever and influenced thousands of musicians. Van Halen received six awards with 11 total nominations, received a Grammy in 1992 for Best Hard Rock Performance and several MTV awards.

Evan Fernandez, Reporter

The expansion and diversity of music and artists drastically changed in the past century, with several legendary artists known for their musical talent and songs. One band stood out from the rest, with all four members regarded as legends for how they played their instruments. Releasing 13 albums all with various popular songs, and doing hundreds of live shows, people will remember the name Van Halen for a long time.

“I think that what separates Van Halen from other bands is the guitarist, Eddie Van Halen. The talent, speed and pure energy that resonates from his guitar that he brings to the music is unlike any other. He truly makes Van Halen special as a whole and puts them among some of the best rock bands of all time,” sophomore Henry Witchsy said.

Critics and fans regard Van Halen as one of the most influential and legendary bands in the past century, with each member known for how they play their instrument. Alex Van Halen on the drums brought explosive power to the songs like “Hot For Teacher” alongside Michael Anthony, the bassist, known for his electric bass riffs and using the Jack Daniels bass. Both singers, Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth used their amazing vocals to bring life and energy to the music.

The guitarist Eddie Van Halen pioneered new guitar-playing techniques such as tapping and fans consider him the best guitarist of all time. because of his speed, control and melody. He also played the keyboard for the band, specializing in creating fast and enticing rhythms. Several artists realized his skill and precision, asking him to feature on their albums. For example, Michael Jackson asked Eddie to write and play a solo for his song “Beat It” on the 1983 “Thriller” Album.

“Van Halen is the greatest band of all time. Several bands similar to Van Halen such as Motley Crue or Guns N’ Roses, are famous and amazing, but what separates them from Van Halen is the message and melodies. Van Halen’s message was always positive and about love and the good things in life. Eddie was a revolutionary and changed how the guitar is played today. His jazz-type rock style brought something new to the table, that is different from a lot of what is out there,” sophomore and guitarist Jackson Rains said.

With four No. 1 albums on the Billboard 200, including “5150”, “For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge”, “OU812” and “Balance”, and various top 10 singles such as “Jump”, “Why Can’t This Be Love”, “Panama” and “When It’s Love”. The success of Van Halen’s first album in 1978 brought it straight to platinum, with their “1984” album selling over 25.65 million copies just in the United States, but the band never entered the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame until 2007. People and fans will remember Van Halen and their astonishing success for decades to come.