Kamala Harris’s must-read: “The Truths We Hold: An American Journey”

Jasmina Buranich

Religious texts and philosophical concepts frequently argue that truth sets people free and solves society’s problems. Vice President Kamala Harris includes this concept in her book, “The Truths We Hold: An American Journey”. Though Harris wrote her book before her and President Joe Biden’s campaign, Harris introduces her plans to create a safer country and calls the next generation to action to create change in America.

Jasmina Buranich, Copy Editor

For NC students wanting to change the world one day, Vice President Kamala Harris’s book, “The Truths We Hold: An American Journey” remains an essential reading. Harris guides readers through her personal and political life—not as a Vice President because she wrote the book prior to her term—to urge young readers to acknowledge the world’s problems and create change. By relentlessly writing the complete and utter truth, Harris builds a connection with her young readers and encourages them to run their portion of the race for a brighter and safer tomorrow. 

“I would say that her unwavering perseverance [inspired me the most]. You see someone in that top-level position and you kinda forget all the things that it took them to get to that point. It was really interesting for me seeing all the obstacles that she overcame through that unwavering perseverance of staying true to what she believed in,” junior president Ryan Lacey said.

Published in 2019, “The Truths We Hold: An American Journey” resides on various NC pre-course reading lists due to her compelling writing. Despite any political beliefs one may hold against Harris due to her political party, her book stands as a powerful, captivating and motivating must-read for young people who want to change the world they live in. 

Prior to becoming the vice president that the nation knows today, Harris served as the senator of California. During her time in office, millions of Americans sent Harris letters seeking help. Harris includes excerpts to put faces on two of the nation’s ignored problems: deportation and poverty. Though various people may find these issues complex and uncomfortable to read about, Harris writes the truth about these situations and asks her readers to demand change in America. 

Moreover, through others’ anecdotes, Harris exposes obvious truths in the healthcare and criminal justice system and motivates her audience to recognize disparities. She recounts tennis star Serena Williams’s story when doctors overlooked her pulmonary embolism after childbirth. Harris further depicts the hardships that Black and Brown people endure in the criminal justice system such as harsher sentencing and higher-priced bond amounts. Harris notes that American systems relentlessly target the Black community and pose a systematic bias against Black people in America. Nevertheless, Harris promotes equality for her fellow Black citizens by encouraging political leaders to implement unbiased training for healthcare and law professionals.  

Additionally, she writes the truth about the effects of gun violence, harmful immigration policies and resistance to the Black Lives Matter movement. By arguing that recognizing and speaking truths will fix the problems in the nation’s society and politics, Harris encourages the American people to play their roles.

“I definitely would [recommend this book to future leaders]. I think that the book takes you through the nuances, the complexities and the different levels of hard work that someone has to put in to get to the position that we are all able to see. I think that it is really inspiring and interesting to see the behind-the-scenes of someone who has achieved so much,” Lacey said.

The concept of truth remains prominent in her book—as the word exists in her title—as Harris believes that the fight to change America begins and ends with speaking the truth. Rather than arguing about politics, Harris writes the truth and encourages readers to run their portion of the race to reshape America. She portrays her passion for humanity perfectly, therefore, encouraging young people to make the change they want to see in their country. “The Truths We Hold: An American Journey” serves as a heartfelt and inspiring must-read for the political leaders of tomorrow.