National Art Honor Society students leave mark on NC

The+National+Art+Honors+Society+continues+to+intrigue+new+students+who+hold+a+strong+connection+to+art.+Students+who+participate+in+NAHS+deepen+their+desires+to+chase+after+the+field+of+art+in+college+through+the+events+they+partake+in.+This+club+inspires+students+to+work+together+with+their+peers+to+create+alluring+works+of+art+that+showcase+their+talents.+Each+student+holds+their+own+strengths+which+leads+the+club+to+countless+achievements.+
Mackenzie Blanco
The National Art Honors Society continues to intrigue new students who hold a strong connection to art. Students who participate in NAHS deepen their desires to chase after the field of art in college through the events they partake in. This club inspires students to work together with their peers to create alluring works of art that showcase their talents. Each student holds their own strengths which leads the club to countless achievements.

Art serves as a profound means of self-expression for hundreds of students at NC. Founded in 1978, The National Art Honor Society (NAHS) offers creative students an opportunity to participate in an after-school activity that showcases individuality and beautiful artwork at NC. NAHS supports students in their goals of attaining the highest standards in visual arts. The club also brings attention to the arts in education and the community by participating in local art events such as Chalktoberfest

NAHS attains a significant amount of student officers who hold a strong love for art and desire to help others reach their goals. Magnet senior Lily Mize as president and magnet seniors Knoxe Caseria and Layza Wenclevski as vice presidents lead the way every Thursday after school during their weekly meetings.  Activities at past meetings included creating pins, origami bookmarks and pinwheels to celebrate the International Day of Peace which occurred September 21. September 19, NAHS took part in creating a Frida Kahlo-inspired scarecrow for downtown Kennesaw’s third annual Scarecrows on Main. Students worked together to bring the scarecrow to life by using string to imitate her hair and PVC pipes to assemble the body of the scarecrow. They also constructed flowers out of fabric and felt to create an intricate headpiece; they used detailed clothing pieces to add a finishing touch to Frida’s iconic style. 

As the president of North Cobb’s National Art Honor Society, my goals are to fuel further promotion efforts and provide opportunities for art students to become involved. Last year, NAHS struggled to get its name out. Most of the student body had no idea our club even existed. ‘We have an Art gallery?’ is what my fellow members and I would often hear. Our first year was dedicated to the task of establishing our club. I am making it my mission to dedicate this year to truly getting our name out and providing opportunities to artists from all skill levels,” Mize said.

Art teacher and sponsor of NAHS, Karrie Arana, led an art club at NC when she joined the faculty in 2018. Arana quickly inquired about starting an NAHS chapter through the National Art Education Association (NAEA) to further expand the opportunities students could grasp throughout their high school careers, such as leadership growth and college preparation. Through NAHS, students receive the chance to exhibit their work in the semi-annual, full-color digital publication of the program in the NAHS News, as well as in the annual Juried Exhibition. Participating in NAHS also provides national recognition for outstanding high school students. 

“There are a lot of things I love about NAHS. I would say my favorite aspect is the sense of community it creates. I love witnessing interactions between our members, as well as the sheer joy people experience from being surrounded by their subjects. I know from experience that finding fellow artists out in the wild is very difficult. Of course, it is nice to hear, ‘your art is good,’ from your classmates. It is when you hear the same praises over and over that it just becomes white noise,” Mize said. 

Currently, members work diligently to spread the light of NAHS. Since the club began, hard work and persistence have become key to keeping the club afloat. NAHS showcases the students through its Instagram page; the page shares reels and posts of the student’s work. Student officers build strong relationships with one another due to the love they share for art. Mize explains that as an officer, she holds the ability to create interpersonal relationships with fellow artists as a way to share her unique experiences. Art exhibitions and club meetings lead NAHS students to share their achievements and victories with the people they create strong friendships.