“Full Disclosure”: NC’s production of “The Addams Family” blows away the audience

Callie Kinsinger
The NC Standing Ovation thespian troupe recently brought their production of “The Addams Family” to the stage, rounding out the 2023-2024 season. Full of humor and spooks, the ghoulish cast, with top-notch costumes and makeup, portrayed a difficult love story and an atypical family dynamic. After months of theater students’ dedication, family and friends gathered for a laugh and an excellent show.

NC High School’s Standing Ovation thespian troupe welcomed friends and family to their final spring musical of the 2023-2024 school year, with the American macabre “The Addams Family.” Presenting four shows across three days, NC theater students portrayed a gothic whirlwind of love and turmoil from Thursday, April 25, to Saturday, April 27. Rounding out the show weekend with a sweet final-bow tribute to seniors, the final spring musical became a mix of laughter and tears.

Inspired by Charles Addams’ 1938 cartoon “The Addams Family,” the musical storyline focuses on recently turned 18-year-old Wednesday Addams, played by magnet junior Olivia Doucette, straying away from her family’s morbid values and falling in love with Lucas Beineke, a typical teenager from Ohio, played by senior Joseph Pagan-Portes. From family dinner to marriage, the film brings the audience through a series of unusual events involving the family.

“This show I feel is different than others because it’s definitely just a lot of improvisation, especially for me. I’ve always been one to follow the script, but with this show, It’s helped me step out of my comfort zone and say things that weren’t scripted. This was partly because I was genuinely connected to the character Wednesday, and knew what kind of things she would say in situations because they were things I would have said as myself,” Doucette said.

The show highlights a plethora of unique characters, allowing each NC auditioner the chance to secure a role just for them. The Addams family members exert personality through each action and decision they make, creating a macabre dynamic and tension between each character. With 10 main roles and the ensemble, the cast brought the unusual characters to life. 

“I think my favorite part of playing my role [Wednesday] is that I’m genuinely so much like this character. It’s been one of my dream roles because I simply relate to Wednesday a lot and how she views life. It’s been such a pleasure being able to portray her as myself in a way, and watching myself grow through playing her,” Doucette said.

Father and passionate romantic, Gomez Addams, played by magnet senior Simri Martinez, strives to please his elegant and skeptical wife, Morticia Addams, played by senior Destiny Elliot, while also keeping Wednesday’s secret. Telling the story through catchy songs such as “When You’re an Addams” and “Full Disclosure,” the characters work through their troubling, but hilarious, conversations and puppy love.

“I just loved the dramatic nature of the character Gomez. It was so fun to bring to life this funny and just over-dramatic character. I also grew up watching the Addams family, so it was also fun to bring to life the character I watched so much growing up. I just love seeing everyone put their own flair on the jokes and the characters. Seeing a little bit of everyone in their own characters is not only hilarious but also so fulfilling,” Martinez said.

With help from NC students interested in technology, lighting and set designing, the setting of Central Park came to life. Hand-in-hand with ghoulish costuming, the cast and crew portrayed the creepy feel of a spooky graveyard and mansion. While the spotlight may shine on the main cast, the ensemble, or “ancestors,” truly brought the story to the stage with their white, ghastly attire.

Not only did NC Standing Ovation put on an excellent show, but the cast and crew made lifelong memories. After months of preparation with practice at least three days a week, and even time dedicated on weekends, “The Addams Family” brought together a wide array of NC students. Senior theater students who participated in the theater program for three to four years truly found their home. Head Director Candice Corcoran allowed seniors the chance to take their final bow on the Performing Arts Center stage, bringing tears to the eyes of any audience member. The 2024 seniors truly changed the program with their talent and dedication, and will pass on the torch to the class of 2025.

“This show was different to me just because it would be my last with NC Standing Ovation. I took so much time making sure I did the best I could so I could make my theater family proud. I couldn’t be more proud of everyone for making something truly special. I will always look back with very fond memories of this show. I’m very excited to start this new chapter in my life and see what is in store for me,” Martinez said.