The years of Young: NC Early Childhood Education teacher plans for retirement

Addie Hill
After 31 years of teaching, NC’s own Early Childhood Education teacher Becky Young has reached retirement. Throughout all her years as an educator, Young has influenced numerous students with her positivity and kindness, which has left an impact on their lives. Looking forward to her new stage of life, she plans to rest and maintain a low-stress routine after she retires.

Known for her whimsical classroom and wondrous spirit, Early Childhood Education (ECE) teacher Becky Young decided to start a new chapter: retirement. Originally planning to retire after the 2022-2023 school year, Young decided to remain a Warrior for one last year with her beloved students and coworkers.

“My favorite part about teaching is just making these relationships with students. Not everyone likes the subject I teach, I get that. But if they can just take one thing and I make that one difference at some point in their life… then I think that is just so beneficial,” Young said.

As a child, Young developed a passion for teaching from the inspiration of her elementary educators. As they poured into her and cultivated her love for interacting with others, Young decided she wanted to pursue teaching from the age of nine years old. Even as she grew up, her teachers continued to impact her. Particularly, Young’s high school Home Economics teacher, who accompanied her to a Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) trip to California for school, served as a prime example of a mentor.

Young has moved through various schools and cities, yet her joy for teaching has remained constant. She has taught Home Economics, Childhood Development and Parenting, Food, Nutrition and Wellness and ECE as part of her Family Consumer Science education. Additionally, Young taught classes such as Culinary, Interior Design and Textile Science, which added liveliness and diversity to her career. Through all the classes she gained experience in, teaching Childhood Development courses remains her favorite due to their advantageous content.

Along with leading her classroom, Young also runs the Little Warriors Preschool. As a teacher and supervisor, Young equips the level two and three ECE students to teach the community-based children in the program. From serving snacks to creating invigorating art projects, Young ensures that the preschoolers learn subjects such as literacy and math in exciting ways. 

Not only does Young further the education of the preschool and high school students, but she also creates a spirited and energetic learning environment. She tasks the higher-level ECE students with decorating the preschool’s bulletin boards throughout the year with different themes such as LEGOs or autumn. Also in 2022, Young fulfilled every child’s dream by bringing Santa Claus to visit the preschoolers and spread holiday cheer. Overall, Young’s creative mind and desire to teach students in a thrilling way have allowed her to curate one-of-a-kind experiences for her students.

“I can tell that Mrs. Young deeply cares about her students… not only academically, but also in their personal lives. I know that I can always talk to Mrs. Young about anything. She is open about her life and her experiences and she is a mentor to many people who take her class,” magnet junior Allison Zitsch said.

Throughout all her responsibilities, Young has brought a breath of fresh air to NC. Adored by her coworkers and students both in and outside her classroom, she continues to push the students to inspire excellence. As she ends her teaching career—which she has held for over 30 years—she plans to take life steady. While Young still desires to maintain a job where she can communicate with people and accommodate her personable nature, she remains ready to move into a different chapter of life.

NC will miss Young as a Warrior but the student body and faculty alike thank her for her kind heart and positive attitude that continues to liven the halls of the school. The Chant wishes her the best in all her endeavors and thanks her for her years at NC!