BREAKING: Santa Claus visits NC

Jasmina Buranich

NC’s Early Childhood Education (ECE) teacher Becky Young runs NC’s preschool with the help of ECE students. The fall semester brings various entertaining holidays for the teachers and children to celebrate. Young hosts an event for the preschoolers to meet with Santa and eat snacks for their last day of preschool for the semester December 8.

Jasmina Buranich, Co-Copy Editor

As NC’s holiday break approaches, students and teachers prepare for final exams and the semester’s ending December 16. Although the Early Childhood Education course(ECE) decided to celebrate the semester’s end in a different way. As the preschoolers entered the building at roughly 8:45 a.m., they knew today would be one of their best days so far because they would see their favorite holiday figure: Santa Claus.

Surrounded by snacks and drinks, ECE teacher Becky Young, parents and ECE students-commonly referred to as teachers due to their efforts to run the preschool- gathered around to watch the children talk to Saint Nick. One by one, the children told Santa what they wanted for Christmas, and took a picture for Young and their parents. 

As the event wrapped up, the students, teachers and Young gathered around for several group photos. After several goofy photos and a bit of crying from younger siblings, Santa Claus waved goodbye to the children as he prepared to visit other children around the school.

“I really like being in ECE because I want to be a teacher so I like getting the experience because we have to a lot of things that teachers have to do. I feel like it’s preparing me for what I want to do.,” senior teacher Aleigh Johnson said.

In preparation for the event, Young’s first and second period students decorated and wrapped gifts to spread the holiday spirit. The two classes split into several groups to accomplish lesson plans, decorate, teach the children and also perform their classwork. This event specifically required a group to help as needed, especially with tasks such as walking the children to Santa and gathering them for pictures.

Today serves as a bitter-sweet moment for the ECE teachers and students as the preschool children will not return for the duration of the semester. Several ECE teachers will also complete the pathway at the semester’s end, and their time teaching their preschoolers will conclude.

“For holidays it is cool to experience the things that we got to experience as kids. Things that normal high schoolers don’t get to do anymore but it’s cool to be able to experience it again with preschoolers,” Johnson said.