Scream-Tastic selections: five books to delight Halloween nights

Prepare+for+spine-tingling+chills+this+Halloween+with+these+five+captivating+book+recommendations.+From+the+mysterious+happenings+in+Hill+House+to+a+dystopian+future+where+humans+serve+as+a+horrifying+source+of+meat%2C+these+stories+will+keep+readers+awake+into+the+spooky+hours+of+the+night.+So%2C+drive+to+the+nearest+bookstore+and+pick+up+these+books+to+make+Halloween+a+special+night.++
Amazon
Prepare for spine-tingling chills this Halloween with these five captivating book recommendations. From the mysterious happenings in Hill House to a dystopian future where humans serve as a horrifying source of meat, these stories will keep readers awake into the spooky hours of the night. So, drive to the nearest bookstore and pick up these books to make Halloween a special night.

October’s arrival, coupled with the crisp autumn air sending shivers down spines, marks the perfect time to dive into stories that will keep even the bravest readers awake into the witching hours. As the days grow shorter and the nights turn darker, the irresistible urge to explore terrifying tales occurs. Whether a seasoned horror enthusiast or an adventurous newcomer, these book recommendations promise to captivate, terrify and transport readers to worlds where the hidden becomes the most gripping expedition.

Eileen, a 22-year-old hiker, turns up missing while exploring the remote Ashlough Forest. Five days later, a citizen discovered her camera washed downriver, containing bizarre photos taken after her disappearance. Eileen’s boyfriend, Chris, desperately wants to believe that she remains alive. When the police abandon the search, he, along with four of their friends, opts to create their own search party to explore the treacherous mountain range. They quickly realize that the trees conceal other entities, and Eileen’s vanishing did not happen by accident. As they fully understand the danger’s scope, escaping could already prove too late.

The story revolves around gifted painter Alicia Berenson, who seemingly possesses it all except for one shocking detail: she stands convicted of ruthlessly shooting her husband, Gabriel, repeatedly in the face. Her silence adds to the intrigue as she swears off speech, keeping the motives behind this gruesome act a secret. Theo Faber, a criminal psychotherapist, feels determined to unravel the truth of Alicia’s silence. He takes on the challenge of treating her at The Grove, a secure forensic unit. As Theo peels back the layers of Alicia’s mind, the story takes a mesmerizing and suspenseful turn. Secrets, twists and psychological suspense awaits every corner. 

“I initially began reading the book because I thought it was about an interview between a patient and murderer but it turned out to be so much more. It was one of those books where I couldn’t put it down and stayed up way too late trying to finish it. The twist caught me off guard, and I recommend it to anyone who likes to read thrillers,” senior Mary Anglin said.

Dr. John Montague, an investigator of the supernatural, assembles a team to stay in Hill House and explore its paranormal activities. The team features Eleanor Vance, a lonely and introverted woman seeking escape from her life; Theodora, an artist with a flair for the dramatic and a mysterious past; and Luke Sanderson, the young heir to Hill House. As the team settles into the ominous mansion, they find themselves ensnared in a series of inexplicable and terrifying events. Strange noises echo through the hallways, and ghostly apparitions haunt their waking moments. Hill House itself appears to obtain an agenda, and its dark history intertwines with the lives of these characters. Eleanor’s increasing sense of isolation and unease adds a deep psychological layer of horror.

The story follows Mira, a young black woman who, seeking solace, returns to her hometown in the American South after a painful breakup. However, her homecoming takes a dark and chilling turn as she begins to reconnect with her past and the people in her community. Unexplained and sinister events begin to unfold, leaving Mira in a state of fear and apprehension. As she delves into the town’s hidden history, she uncovers disturbing secrets that reveal a malevolent force, seeking revenge against her family for deeds long buried and forgotten. Now, Mira must confront not only her own demons but also the ancient evil awakened by her return.

The story transports readers to a dystopian world where an alarming and morally disturbing practice becomes the norm. In this future society, a pandemic devastates the animal population, rendering them unsafe for consumption. To meet the demand for meat, the authorities chillingly implement a solution: humans become the primary source of meat. Marcos, a laborer at a grim processing plant tasked with readying humans for consumption, has grown emotionally detached from the gruesome realities of his work. Marcos’s perspective takes a profound shift when he encounters a woman named Jasmine. Her presence awakens a dormant sense of humanity within him, leading to moral questioning and inner turmoil.

“My roommate recommended this book to me and I can say it literally changed my life. This is the creepiest book I have ever read and it changed my perspective on a lot of things. I actually became a vegetarian for three months after reading this book, but eventually, I was comfortable eating meat again. This is the best book to read around Halloween time and I think everyone should definitely read it,” Troy University freshman Phillip Butts said.

Prepare to embark on a spine-tingling journey into the world of spooky books that will leave readers with goosebumps. So, grab a flashlight, huddle under a cozy blanket and let the spookiness begin. These reads serve as the perfect way to set the mood for a thrilling and adventurous Halloween. Enjoy the frightful adventure.