SpaceX, we have a problem: Elon Musk faces allegations of employee negligence

Businessman+and+founder+of+SpaceX+Elon+Musk+has+received+several+scathing+allegations+of+employee+neglect+in+recent+weeks+as+current+and+former+employees+advocate+for+themselves+in+the+face+of+a+negative+work+environment.+These+allegations+add+to+a+pattern+of+Musk+creating+toxic+working+conditions+at+his+companies+under+his+leadership.+As+of+today%2C+the+CEO+has+failed+to+comment+on+the+severity+of+the+claims.+
Jae C. Hong via Associated Press
Businessman and founder of SpaceX Elon Musk has received several scathing allegations of employee neglect in recent weeks as current and former employees advocate for themselves in the face of a negative work environment. These allegations add to a pattern of Musk creating toxic working conditions at his companies under his leadership. As of today, the CEO has failed to comment on the severity of the claims.

Businessman and entrepreneur Elon Musk has faced a series of complaints from employees at his company, Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX), over poor workplace conditions and overall negligence. Through an investigation conducted by the news agency Reuters, journalists uncovered several details from within the astronautics company. Reuters found over 600 injury reports since 2014, with ailments ranging from lacerations to head traumas.

Claims have arisen that attribute the rise in injuries within SpaceX has stemmed from Musk’s intense drive to accomplish an impending project to Mars. Employees have abused Adderall and utilized IV bags to not fall behind with their workloads. Recently, Musk has faced accusations of discouraging workers from utilizing safety clothes, as well as painting over safety-colored machinery due to his dislike of the neon color. 

“I wouldn’t say I’m surprised that he’s been allegedly treating his workers poorly, especially given his previous track record of sexual assault allegations and general disregard of his employees. However, I am kind of disappointed I guess. This guy is supposed to be like, heading the generation and paving the way to our future, and I guess I just thought he’d be a decent person,” magnet junior Rory Pulley said.

The allegations from former and current SpaceX workers follow a similar pattern of workplace complaints stemming from companies that Musk owns. Immediately following his formal takeover of the social media app X, formally known as Twitter, the businessman fired both CEO Parag Agrawal and Chief Financial Officer Ned Segal. Since assuming the corporation, Musk has laid off thousands of employees, with the majority of layoffs stemming from the communications department. In late 2022, several former employees of X sued the company for near-violations of labor rights. 

“He [Musk] wanted to make all of these unnecessary, unwanted changes and he wanted to make them happen quickly. The quality of Twitter has been going down ever since he bought it because he’s making unpopular decisions at the expense of workers who actually care about the platform and its users,” magnet junior Angel Chung said.

Over the years, SpaceX has generated significant media buzz, whether for its noteworthy projects or its controversial CEO. September of this year, the company orchestrated the first series of flight tests for their recent project, Starship, an aircraft designed to travel between the Earth, the moon and other planets. As of November 14, the company plans for the second launch of Starship, pending any further alterations to the spacecraft from the first test runs. Musk and his team have not released a formal press statement or legal proceeding regarding the circulating accusations of employee mistreatment.