The best “Friends” episodes to watch for the holidays

Addie Hill
The “Friends” television show remains notorious for its famous holiday scenes. The various Christmas episodes present festivity for the holidays with hilarious Christmas-centered plots. For those deciding what to watch for the holiday season, The Chant has ranked all nine jolly episodes.

As the holiday season approaches, numerous television shows and movies portray the joyous feelings of Christmastime. The television series “Friends” remains known for its iconic Thanksgiving episodes with exhilarating plots and guest stars like Brad Pitt and Christina Applegate. Unfortunately, these segments continue to overshadow the Christmas productions of the beloved show. Perfectly in time for the merriment of the holiday break, The Chant has ranked all nine of the yuletide “Friends” episodes to present audiences with a list for festive television binge-watching sessions.

“The Christmas episodes are very nostalgic which makes them perfect for the holiday spirit. The plots are funny and the vibes are comforting for winter which makes it the perfect show to watch during the holidays. It’s just really comforting to rewatch episodes from my childhood and all the holiday jokes they made,” junior Tessa Saunders said.

#9: The One With the Inappropriate Sister

Airing December 17, 1998, season five, episode ten of “Friends” features comical plotlines for each character. However, it remains at the bottom of the list because the only Christmas-themed aspect displays the side plot of Phoebe, played by Lisa Kudrow, aiming to gain donations for the Salvation Army. The rest of the episode follows Rachel, played by Jennifer Aniston, who secures a date with her attractive neighbor Danny, played by George Newbern. This segment also earns last place because Danny’s relationship with his sister seems too close for Rachel’s liking, and the dynamic between the siblings will surely cause discomfort for the audience. In the meantime, Joey, played by Matt Leblanc, tries to write his own play with the help of Ross—played by David Schwimmer—only causing frustration for Joey but amusement for fans. While this episode may cause the audience to laugh, it does not entail enough merriment to spark the Christmas spirit in viewers.

#8: The One Where Rachel Quits

Similar to the last, this episode lacks Christmas focus. Despite falling under the category of Christmas-themed episodes, the main plot of this season three episode does not revolve around the holidays. The segment mainly displays Rachel, who recently quit her job as a waitress at the iconic Central Perk Coffee House, wondering if she will find another place of employment. While she contemplates her decision, the scene cuts to Ross and Chandler, portrayed by the late Matthew Perry, recently returning from a game of tennis. As the two talk, Ross swings his racket to demonstrate a backhand hit and accidentally knocks over a cookie-selling Girl Scout and breaks her leg. Ross, feeling guilty, helps her sell the rest of her cookies to win a prize. Now, the subplot with the least screen time—and the only one about Christmas—follows Joey, who lands a job selling Christmas trees. Phoebe’s hippie morals do not condone the practice of cutting down trees; therefore, the scenes feature arguments between Phoebe, who remains adamant about her values, and Joey, who simply aims to earn money. Even with the subplot of Joey’s job, this episode does not strike audiences as a “Christmassy” episode. 

#7: The One With the Creepy Holiday Card

Season eight, episode eleven, also known under the title of “The One With Ross’s Step Forward,” centers around Ross and his girlfriend Mona, played by Bonnie Somerville. Mona asks Ross the dreaded question of where they stand in the seriousness of their relationship. In return, Ross fumbles over his words and somehow agrees to send a Christmas card to Mona to announce their official couple status. The other five friends advise Ross to escape this situation, but his lovably awkward self never musters the courage to communicate his thoughts to Mona. Throughout the episode, Rachel becomes interested in Joey, despite seeing him as a friend for the entirety of the seven previous seasons. This storyline only causes unnecessary confusion for Joey that would not take place if Rachel had not exaggerated the issue. Though the episode will surely promote the holiday spirit, it remains low on the list due to its aggravating side-plot.

#6: The One With All the Candy

The Christmas joy of this season seven episode derives when Monica—played by Courtney Cox—attempts to please her neighbors by baking cookies. However, her professional cooking skills cause havoc as these acquaintances start to demand candy from Monica, overwhelming her. Audiences know Monica’s character as the uptight, people-pleasing goody-two-shoes, so watching her aim to meet the comical demands of the neighbors stays true to her archetype. Meanwhile, keeping in touch with the holiday spirit, Ross learns that Phoebe never owned a bike as a child and never learned to ride one. Taking it upon himself to teach her, Ross buys a bike for Phoebe and helps her conquer her fears of riding it. In the sentimental moment, audiences may feel a range of emotions as the episode reminds them of the giving spirit of the Christmas season.

#5: The One With the Girl from Poughkeepsie

Airing December 18, 1997, this episode in season seven highlights Phoebe’s songwriting abilities, as well as the group’s love lives and work problems. Ross sparks interest in a woman on a train who lives an hour and a half away, and he contemplates whether he should ask her out or if he should ask out another interest who lives closer. Rachel, on the other hand, can not find a love interest and begs Chandler to set her up with a coworker. At his office, Chandler spreads misinformation that ends with Rachel in the same situation as at the start of the episode: single and wanting a relationship. 

Speaking of work, another storyline follows Monica, who hires Joey at her restaurant as a decoy to fire so she can show her authority as head chef to her employees. Joey does not follow the plan and causes drama at the workplace. Throughout these events, Phoebe aims to write a Christmas song for her friends but cannot seem to rhyme their names with festive lines. This intriguing episode sits fifth on the list because while the Christmas aspect does not direct the plot, Phoebe’s jingle at the end adds to her iconic discography and allows growth for her character.

#4: The One With the Routine

Joey’s crush, Janine—played by Elle Macpherson—performs on a New Year’s Eve dance show with Joey, and allows Monica and Ross to join. As they pre-record the show, Chandler, Rachel and Phoebe search Monica’s famous apartment to find her Christmas gifts. The laugh-worthy banter from the three seeking the gifts provides entertaining content for viewers and showcases the prominent friendship between the girl’s trio. The continuous talk of Christmas gifts fosters festive feelings as it prompts viewers to wonder what they will receive for the holiday. Though the episode sparks the holiday spirit, Ross and Monica’s sibling dance skills on the New Year’s program characterize the plot, which distracts the audience from the Christmas feelings given by Chandler, Phoebe and Rachel.

#3: The One With Christmas in Tulsa

Taking the bronze for “Friends” episodes, “The One With Christmas in Tulsa” displays sweet themes of love and relationships. Chandler must stay in his office in Tulsa on Christmas day while Monica and the other four main characters inevitably feel down, missing one of their closest friends. While at first, the episode does not spark holiday joy in the viewers, the ending wraps up the segment with joy and sentiment. One of Chandler’s employees—Wendy, played by Selma Blair—flirts with him, saying she would rather stay at the office than return home. He resists, monologuing his love for Monica and what he loves about her. These scenes keep fans on the edge of their seat, hoping Chandler will not give in and betray Monica. At the height of the suspense, the scene cuts to the other five main characters hanging out, when Chandler surprisingly walks in, accompanied with joyous exclamations from the rest of the group. Hugs surround Chandler and the episode ends with Christmas merriment displayed in the unity and friendship of the characters.

#2: The One With Phoebe’s Dad

In second place, season two, episode nine shows Monica and Rachel hosting a Christmas party at their apartment. When they ask Ross to fix their heater, it breaks, filling the apartment with sweltering heat. At the party, guests and friends comically take turns sitting in the fridge or talking on the balcony, exemplifying opposite themes from cold Christmas stereotypes. During the party, Phoebe reveals that she found her father, who left during her adolescence and whom she did not know growing up. Accompanying her, Chandler and Joey support the endeavor and encourage Phoebe to meet him. Overall, this episode evokes amusing yet tender emotions of the holiday spirit as it showcases the comedic Christmas party and the realization of the found family trope for Phoebe as she appreciates the extent of her familial affection for her friend group.

#1: The One With the Holiday Armadillo

Finally, the first place features the iconic Christmas episode displaying Ross and his quirky personality. With the desire to teach his son, Ben, played by Cole Sprouse, of their Jewish heritage, he aims to find a Santa Claus costume. Ross’ goal to explain his Jewish ancestry to Ben backfired when Ross could not find an available costume at the store. So, he creates his own Christmas character: the Holiday Armadillo. The Armadillo claims himself as the Jewish friend of Santa sent to teach Ben about celebrating Christmas while still acknowledging their Jewish background. Presenting audiences with a goofy character to reference every holiday season, this episode remains in the top spot for its significant effect on the “Friends” fanbase.

As fans near Christmas day and may decide to watch “Friends” for the holiday season, take The Chant’s word for the merriest episodes to watch. The entertaining and heartfelt show inspires love from various fans, and the Christmas editions only add flair. From Christmas trees to armadillos, the noteworthy show will foster joy for fans.

“I like the show because it has great character dynamics and relationships that are entertaining to watch as they grow throughout the seasons. The episodes are simple yet well-written and entertaining. It is easily a comfort show because of the jokes and relatable characters,” Saunders said.