Second semester: How to spring into the right direction

With+the+holiday+break+concluded%2C+students+received+a+new+set+of+courses+to+start+the+new+school+year+and+semester.+Students+may+find+the+spring+semester+challenging+due+to+the+fast-paced+courses+within+their+new+classes.+The+spring+semester+comes+with+a+heavier+workload+depending+on+which+courses+students+choose+to+take.++Finding+ways+to+cope+with+the+stress+and+the+nerves+of+attending+new+classes+can+help+students+start+on+the+right+foot.+The+new+set+of+courses+serves+as+an+opportunity+to+engage+in+classes+and+new+friendships+rather+than+sticking+with+a+typical+seven-class+schedule.+
Jameson Johnson
With the holiday break concluded, students received a new set of courses to start the new school year and semester. Students may find the spring semester challenging due to the fast-paced courses within their new classes. The spring semester comes with a heavier workload depending on which courses students choose to take. Finding ways to cope with the stress and the nerves of attending new classes can help students start on the right foot. The new set of courses serves as an opportunity to engage in classes and new friendships rather than sticking with a typical seven-class schedule.

Cobb County’s holiday break lasts roughly two weeks, leaving students to fall back into their summer-like habits. Although Christmas break allows the students time to recuperate before heading off into their spring semester, the break also allows them to forget certain responsibilities that come with school. The majority of students travel over break, using their free time to catch up with long-distance family or spend time with friends; however, school returns in full swing shortly after New Year’s, leaving students to fix their sleep schedule and prepare for school. 

NC’s spring semester follows and brings on new classes and several new opportunities. Each student handles the second semester differently as certain students think time flies by and other students find themselves overwhelmed with the fast-paced courses that throw them off track. While working through the spring semester presents challenges for every student, finding ways to handle the workload can relieve stress throughout the semester. 

“I think getting a new schedule is good for students. It expands their knowledge and helps them interact with new teachers. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know my teachers and classes so far. The hardest part about coming back from break was having to start doing schoolwork again and waking up early,” NC freshman Nelo Giwa-amu said.

Taking time before the start of the spring semester to catch up on sleep, prepare for new courses and relax can significantly improve students’ readiness for the upcoming semester. Maintaining contact with a counselor before spring break to discuss future classes can help students prepare for the courses they requested.

When schedules came out January 3, the day before school started, students worried about the way to find their classes and what to expect for the semester. Freshmen especially found it difficult to navigate the school in search of their new set of classes. NC stationed teachers and upperclassmen around the school during passing periods to help students who did not know where to head. NC administration carried out a homeroom schedule for students to see familiar faces and ask their homeroom teacher about their schedules.

Spring semester means an unfamiliar set of courses and an unfamiliar set of faces in each class. New experiences and new friendships blossom through the semester, creating friendships over shared interests. Certain students marvel at the idea of meeting new people while others struggle to strike a conversation with someone unfamiliar. Ice-breakers and group activities significantly improve a student’s ability to strike up a conversation with his or her peers. Although several students dislike group work and find it nerve-racking, it encourages students to befriend one another. The spring semester allows students to widen their social circle instead of sticking with the same classes and peers.

NC uses the holiday break as a transition to allow students the opportunity to make up classes they previously failed or work towards finishing one of the multiple career pathways the school provides. Unlike other high schools, NC’s block classes last longer than the typical high school class time and carry an extra class throughout the year.  This extra time allows students to try different electives and career pathways over the two semesters. 

“I do think getting a new schedule helps some kids in the right way by experiencing different situations and meeting different people. So far, I’ve enjoyed my classes, I don’t have any complaints. The hardest part about coming back after the break has been the fact that I haven’t been able to see my friends in a while. My schedule got switched, so I have no classes with hardly any of my friends. It’s not bad meeting new people. It’s still something I’m getting used to, but I think it’s helped my social experiences and made some memories,” NC freshman Cadence Acker said.

When in doubt, think of new classes as a way to create new bonds with people throughout the school. Logging off social media and starting a conversation with someone unfamiliar leads to new friendships and future adventures. Instead of feeling nervous about new classes, enjoy the ability to learn new information with new peers, along with trying new pathways.