A beginners guide to scrapbooking, as told by The Chant

Ciara Whimbush
The art of scrapbooking has evolved since its 15th-century roots, thus becoming a tool for those keen on remembering their past to reminisce on in the future. Due to the array of crafting materials people can use in their own projects, the hobby fosters individualism and allows scrapbookers to take creative control over their designs. From sporting events to graduation ceremonies, scrapbooking can serve as a wholesome activity fit for all ages.

In the wide, warping world of hobbies, several different pastimes emerge as worthy ways to spend a day; according to a study conducted by Statista September 2023, the top-ranking hobbies within the United States stood as cooking, reading and tending to their pets. Although these hobbies deserve their fair share of adoration, there lies a medium of creative expression that people occupy themselves with scrapbooking. Through cutting paper, gluing photos and coloring with pencils, scrapbooking allows for people spanning all ages to relish in memories while simultaneously exploring their originality. Despite scrapbooking’s playful atmosphere, the hobby may appear intimidating to those who do not know where to begin. To help dismantle this discouraging idea, The Chant explores the fun scrapbooking can emit for beginners from the perspective of a budding scrapbooker themselves.

Scrapbooking found its roots during the 15th century, via journals and “commonplace books,” utilized in the Renaissance era. The modern take on the scrapbook began in the 1800s; with the influential nature of the printing press, people could utilize photos in their scrapbooks to harbor memories for their families. From there, scrapbooks only continued to evolve; people also began placing cards and artwork in their books, adding to the creativity. The development of photography further augmented the scrapbook, as access to pictures increased for the common man. From there, connoisseurs of scrapbooking continued to find ways to spice up their projects by adding movie tickets, paintings and even receipts. 

Alongside the sentimental value that scrapbooks hold, they also provide health benefits to those who choose to take up the hobby. The activity can lower one’s stress levels by venturing down memory lane, and may also serve as a productive memory workout. Scrapbooking can also act as a conductor for social interaction, as friends or family members can collaborate on a book of memories together and bond over experiences shared.

“High schoolers should scrapbook to relive memories they make throughout their years. High school is the age range for growth and new experiences through stress and challenges. Scrapbooking allows connections to come to life and bring about emotional, physical, and mental experiences,” magnet sophomore Keazandra-Clyne Verdeflor said. 

Although the typical heuristic of a scrapbook resembles that of baby photos, graduation snapshots and “first day of school” smiles, there lies a diverse array of themes people can implement in their own projects. For those who enjoy the holidays, scrapbooks could pull inspiration from Valentine’s Day or Christmas to commemorate that special time of year. Sports participants or fans can document their favorite games, wins or banquets to relive their glory days. People who enjoy traveling may use scrapbooks to record every place their passports touch, and could even add postcards or stickers from their destinations. A host of options exist for how one can fill a scrapbook, and alongside that, a host of ways people can choose to decorate it. 

Scrapbooking requires a team of materials to bring out a crafter’s creativity. To start, cardstock or traditional scrapbooking paper can serve as a base for drawings or photographs. Markers, pens, colored pencils or crayons can help highlight different sections of the page and provide life to pictures perhaps taken in the dark or amongst dull backgrounds. Stickers and ribbons may also decorate one’s scrapbook with different and engaging textiles. Scrapbookers can source their pictures in stores such as Walgreens or purchase them online on FreePrints or Shutterfly. Craft stores such as Micheals and Hobby Lobby harbor a dramatic collection of scrapbooking supplies, from the sleeves needed for storing pages to the glue needed to paste papers down.

All in all, scrapbooking can act as a vessel for people to express their inner artist. While the hobby may seem time-consuming, the long-term benefits outweigh the hours of investment. Scrapbooking may joyously open up a window to both a person’s imagination, as well as memories of the past. 

“I was first introduced to scrapbooking in elementary school for an assignment, and afterward, it just stuck. Scrapbooking has always let me embrace the little artistic ability I have because the goal in the end is to preserve special moments and not just to make it look pretty. So it allows me to express myself freely without a care in the world which is what I truly enjoy,” Verdeflor said.