BREAKING: North Cobb will implement a new Origami pathway in the 2024-2025 school year

Rosalyn Schwanke
    A love for art permeates NC, emanating from the expansive deal building. There, visual art and music education fascinate hundreds. An eagerly wished-for addition to the educational opportunities now becomes a reality. NC soon will welcome an origami class into its halls. The class will focus on various paper folding techniques if luck stays by its side.

The craft of origami originated in Japan or China, but the history of the art form remains shrouded in mystery. Practicers of the art can create swans, flowers, elephants and more, just by folding colorful paper. Development of the skill necessitates consistent work and precision, making guidance incredibly helpful to learners. Luckily, NC soon will welcome an origami arts pathway, located in the Deal building.

“I feel like origami helps to hone so many other skills for people who enjoy it and are willing to commit. It helps with focus, pattern-finding, and being detail-oriented. It’s just really an amazing art form and I’m so excited to teach about it!” Incoming Origami Arts teacher Mihara Rei said.

No one can truly overstate the beauty of origami, but it also shows educational and health benefits. These attributes make NC’s interest in implementing a class around it unsurprising. Unfortunately, some administrators worry an insufficient number of people will choose to take the class, considering the niche-ness of the subject. This may result in the removal of the class, so any students interested ought to express it.

“We are very excited to instate the new class here, the arts department especially. Unfortunately, we do wonder if anyone will actually take the class. There are so many other electives that we think students may want to prioritize, but we’re hoping to attract incoming freshmen and sophomores more than anything,” Principal Mathew Moody said.

Students look on eagerly, but unsure. For the teens, the class seems interesting, but the questions of capacity to complete the pathway and the use of an elective space lead them to approach it with trepidation. As the new class comes out of the woodwork — or paperwork — interest may become its best chance at survival.

“The class really sounds cool, especially as a member of the Japanese club. I just worry that I can’t stay on the pathway if they decide to cancel it after one year or that I might regret taking a class that doesn’t help my resume as much as I would like. It’s also just kind of stressful because it sounds cool but also is such a weird class to have,” freshman Niya Ledbetter said. 

April Fools, you fool!

XOXO,