Warriors football program terminated from GHSA

Nathaniel Jordan
    Georgia High School Association (GHSA) removed NC’s football program along with 51 other programs in a secretive agreement between the board and unknown parties. While players and coaches do not yet hold information regarding the details of the board meeting, NC continues to practice for an upcoming season. While no longer with GHSA, a football future may still lie ahead if the terminated programs can organize a season separate from GHSA.

March 30, Georgia High School Association announced after a board meeting that several schools will lose their football programs for the upcoming season, including names such as Langston Hughes, Kell and Oglethorpe County. Among the fifty-two teams included in the batch of cuts sits the NC Warriors. NC’s program, should the football team still operate, will no longer hold membership in GHSA. 

The change comes after a behind-the-scenes conflict which ultimately resulted in a crackdown on Georgia high school sports. While GHSA has not yet officially announced the reasons for the cuts, the termination takes effect “immediately,” according to an email sent by NC athletic director, Matt Williams. 

Players and coaches remain in limbo as to the next steps for the organization, but according to head coach Shane Queen, the schools cut by GHSA will attempt to produce a 2024 football season. 

“There is a lot going on in there [GHSA] that hasn’t been made clear to the coaches, but I’ve told the guys no matter what, we will keep doing what we know how to do. Discussion in the locker room is strictly football and we will prepare as if there is a season ahead of us, just like any other year. My hope is that whatever may be going on with GHSA can be resolved and that we can one day reintroduce Warrior football into that association,” Queen said.

GHSA also released a newsletter March 30 to prepare high school sports fans for further cuts in other sports. While the public did not receive an explanation, the major downsize comes as a kickstart to a new era of high school sports.

April Fools, you fool!

XOXO,

View Comments (2)