Clean up your campus, students

Chloe Roberson and Avery Rice

After a quick overview of the physical appearance and landscape of our school, NC’s campus stands in desperate need of a makeover. Locals in our proud city say one can eat off the sidewalks due to the area’s cleanliness. Yet, if one attempts such a feat at NC, they might come down with a serious illness. Of course I do not intend to slam our proud academic tradition at Warrior Nation, but I wish to take an honest view of the situation and create viable solutions.

This small corner appears to have been accumulating goo for several months. A good scrub and a coat of fresh paint could immediately fix tiny issues like this. I'm looking at you, clubs around campus.
Avery Rice
This small corner appears to have been accumulating goo for several months. A good scrub and a coat of fresh paint could immediately fix tiny issues like this. I’m looking at you, clubs around campus.

“Yeah I want to clean up the the school, but what can I do? One person can’t make a difference,” sophomore Kallie Chabla says.

Believe me, I am aware that sustainable change takes a team of committed supporters to champion the cause of beautifying our campus, but we have several sponsored clubs on campus that tailor to a wide variety of tastes. Why not form a club for campus beautification? We could call this organization the NC Go Green Cleaning Club (NCGCC). Additionally, the NCGCC organization can obtain sponsors from the community such as Sherwin Williams Paint Store, Home Depot, and Kroger along with a host of other sponsors in our community willing to donate supplies to maintain the attractiveness of the school. As the saying goes, “You have not because you ask not.”

Areas near the field seem to be the dirtiest of them all. Though several trash cans are accessible from almost any point around the field, fans throw their trash straight to the ground.
Avery Rice

Moreover, our custodial staff does all they can to maintain a healthy and clean learning environment considering the circumstances. The majority of NC students do not realize how much allowing even the smallest piece of trash fall to the ground affects the appearance of our beloved school. The custodial staff pleads to students: “just pick it up.” Custodian Brenda Lanning expresses her frustration, saying, “They may leave their dining room like that for their mom, but I am certainly not their mother.”   

After the big game, the last thing on a concession volunteer’s mind is emptying the trash. Unfortunately the overflowing cans will continue to pile up until the next Friday game.
Avery Rice

We possibly have confused the duties of parents and custodians at NC, but regardless of the confusion, students must note the significant repercussions when they use our campus as their own personal waste basket. It affects the appearance of NC and as such makes our school more difficult to live in. I recommend we implement disciplinary actions for those whose confusion turned into clear acts of negligence. “There should be consequences for the students who themselves make the school dirty, and I suggest disciplinary actions be taken,” spanish teacher Brenda Garcia agrees.

So, allow this to serve as a clarion call to the school principal, parents, teachers, students, facilities managers and student leaders at NC to step up. Unite to revolutionize NC with new programs aimed to achieve the physical appearance of a school we can all admire.

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.10.18 PMAvery RiceScreen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.33.34 PM