PTSA president discusses Awtrey’s anniversary celebration

Alex O'Brien

Easterling describes the details, theme and the need for ideas in the upcoming event, and the importance of getting the kids excited.

NC hosted local Kennesaw citizen and President of Awtrey Middle School’s PTSA Derek Easterling as a guest speaker for the Tribal Connections club on September 29. Easterling’s speech focused on Awtrey Middle School’s upcoming 50th anniversary celebration, to take place on Friday, October 9, from 6:00 to 8:30 PM. Members of the Tribal Connections club will help to run the event as volunteers.

A tribal connections member writes down ideas for the celebration as Derek Easterling describes the theme of the event.
Alex O’Brien

According to Easterling, the celebration plans to include events all across the school grounds.

We have a whole list of events planned for the celebration. [Have] you ever heard of escapology? It’s like escaping a room through an obstacle course. We’re having a volleyball tournament and chaos ball as well. We’re going to have a pizza meal set up, a Kona Ice truck, and a cake walk with sweet delicacies. We’re even using the media center to hold a Flashback Friday where we’ll have stuff from the 1960s, when Awtrey first opened,” Easterling commented.

Teresa Williams and Bridget Williams explain to NC Tribal Connections the events for the upcoming Awtrey Middle School 50th Anniversary celebration.
Alex O’Brien

For families planning to attend, they must pay $10 at the door, and can pre-order food and drink options through an Awtrey student.

Another aspect for the celebration incorporates media talent from NC students and the PTSA alike, culminating in a video with spotlights on original Awtrey students.

Tribal connections representative writes down details about the 50th anniversary at Awtrey.
Alex O’Brien

Easterling explained further, “We’re soliciting people that went to Awtrey when it first opened, and believe it or not, they’re still here in this area.”

NC prioritizes welcoming community leaders and experts to expose its students to new leadership opportunities. Easterling looks forward to involving NC students, especially in the marketing side of the event.

We really need that marketing because we need to get to the younger kids,” Easterling explained. “I need the kids to be happy, to be excited to go home and tell their parents. It shouldn’t be something that’s hidden in their agenda, that they want to hide. It’s something they want to exclaim and get ready and excited to go. I want them to get excited about that, so I need it marketed. I need you to help them feel comfortable about having fun, so they can release some of that pressure from middle school.”