Magnet Open House convinces students to choose NC

Courtesy of Maddie Arnold

Leighann Raksasouk, junior in the NC magnet program, spoke on a student panel featuring other students from various grades in the program. Feeling the night proceeded successfully overall, “we showcased well that we have a lot of diversity and the different routes you could choose.” Raksasouk said.

Riley O'Neill, Reporter, photographer, political cartoonist

In a county with six Magnet programs and additional accelerated options at several high schools, Cobb County’s academically motivated eighth graders face tough decisions when choosing where to spend their next four years. On the evening of March 16, NC’s School for International Studies carried out its final push to convince students accepted for the upcoming school year to join its program.

On the heels of accepting one the largest classes ever, NC students and faculty felt pressure to demonstrate to each student why he or she should choose NC as their high school. David Stephenson, NC Assistant Principal and International Studies Program Coordinator, explains the upcoming class: “We just had a larger overall group of kids that were clearly qualified this year,” he said.

The approximately 140 prospective incoming freshmen who arrived at NC Tuesday evening attended an open house centered around exemplifying the flexibility and individuality of experiences in the program. Distinguishing itself from other accelerated options in Cobb County, NC intentionally designs its program to allow students to pursue virtually any accelerated path with an emphasis on international relation.

Stephenson felt the night’s overall emphasis on actual experiences allowed prospective freshmen to better understand what NC would provide them: “We wanted to draw a stronger contrast to other programs by really identifying the four years here and focusing less on what a Magnet program does after high school, because we think that takes care of itself.”

Many accepted students committed to the NC School for International Studies while attending the open house, and then eagerly toted their new t-shirts for the program. Commenting on the importance of Tuesday night’s success, “ we hope to have close to 140 kids come into our program next year.” program coordinator David Stephenson said.
Courtesy of Maddie Arnold

As students and their parents perused various interactive areas featuring extracurriculars, travel opportunities, research projects, specific courses, and student experiences, they received first-hand feedback from NC students and faculty about their experiences. After beginning the night with an informational presentation in the theater, the open house allowed for extensive face-to-face contact between program members and the accepted students.

Leighann Raksasouk, an NC junior who spoke on the featured panel of Magnet program members, felt that students and parents appreciated the opportunity to address specific issues concerning them or influencing their decisions.

“They asked about the commute from out of district and time management, mostly,” Raksasouk said.

Between attendees’ reactions and volunteers’ comments, the program received overwhelmingly positive feedback for its efforts. NC’s schoolwide presence throughout the night demonstrated the depth and strength of the Warrior community.

Stephenson felt he could not sufficiently express his appreciation to all of the NC students, parents, and faculty who assisted in creating such a successful open house. The program’s coordinator described the night as “just such a huge part of how we grow and continue to improve NC.”

Cobb County eighth graders accepted to Magnet programs must choose which high school they will attend by March 21. Tuesday night’s successful open house undoubtedly left prospective students itching to become Warriors in the NC School for International Studies.