The truth about Petland: Part 2

Petland%2C+one+of+the+pet+stores+in+the+Kennesaw%2FAcworth+area%2C+faced+yet+another+scandal+for+poor+treatment+of+the+puppies+and+animals+in+their+care.+

The truth about Petland: Part 2

Petland, one of the pet stores in the Kennesaw/Acworth area, faced yet another scandal for poor treatment of the puppies and animals in their care.

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Nati Duron and Rachel Maxwell

A devastating report hit the presses concerning the Petland store located in Kennesaw where a puppy, found dead in a plastic bag, turned up in the shop’s freezer last December. An undercover employee from the National Humane Society found the pup after finishing their annual investigations, and proceeded to find another dead puppy in a Las Vegas Petland store. The investigation concluded as one undercover National Humane Society employee exposed Petland in a seven-page report, shocking local residents.

Although still open after 51 years, Petland holds a reputation for not caring for their pets. Allegedly, the company buys from puppy mills, an inhumane place that breeds puppies and stores animals in enclosed and overcrowded spaces. Dogs in these mills barely survive, and if they do manage to withstand the journey to a Petland store, they frequently pass away or become sick shortly after arrival.

In their deeply investigative and thorough report, National Humane Society explained the shocking details found at the Petland store. They discovered that veterinarian examinations for the store’s animals lasted about 15 seconds, meaning most dogs never received inspections thorough enough to ensure healthiness. Also, an outbreak of the Campylobacter disease that originated from the puppies infected about 100 people, including one employee, who became dangerously ill in February of 2018.

Having previously written on the horrors awaiting animals in Petland stores and determined to gain further information on the scandal, The Chant contacted the Kennesaw Petland requesting their side of the story. Still stunned, journalists provided an email in order to set up an interview. The Chant emailed Petland with the opportunity to share their side of the incident. Clearly uninterested in any type of interview or further contact, the employee simply copy and pasted Petland representative Elizabeth Kunzelman’s statement to AJC in response.

National Humane Society continues to discover evidence of Petland’s cruelty through regular reports and investigations. The tragic news helped further expose the truth about Petland, drawing customers of the store to support Humane Society. If Petland continues the same heinous actions, the company may eventually shut down due to protests and boycotts from animal lovers. National Humane Society’s goal remains to raise more awareness for animal rights and expose those who violate them. All animals deserve the right to a happy and healthy life, and Petland must take it upon themselves to ensure that for their animals.

Nati Duron, Videographer/reporter

Nati Duron, a senior at NC, is a videographer and reporter for The Chant, likes to write about saving dogs from Petland and make videos about conspiracies....

Rachel Maxwell, Social Media Manager

Rachel Maxwell, Social media manager to The Chant, is a senior at NC. Her love for writing and photography drew her to the newspaper staff, but after 3...

Tara Anastasoff, Editor in Chief/Photo Editor

A senior in North Cobb’s Magnet Program, Tara Anastasoff loves to learn new things, make connections with people, and shop for stationary supplies. When...

1 Comment

One Response to “The truth about Petland: Part 2”

1. Joey Pollito on January 17th, 2019 9:12 PM

I AM NEVER SHOPPING AT PETLAND AGAIN!!!!

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Senior night for girls Varsity lacrosse

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Heading to the playoffs

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Warriors take on rival Mustangs in three-game series

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Egg-tastic holiday fun

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Exploring SAT/ACT study method options

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Living up to the name

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Free Spirit gains spirit from fans worldwide

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Around the world in nine months

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Shazam! review: Latest DC movie electrifies superhero genre

• The truth about Petland: Part 2

Artsy Acworth Art Fest

The truth about Petland: Part 2