The truth about Petland

The truth about Petland

Nati Duron, Photographer, Reporter

Animal mills that house a wide range of pets in poor conditions allegedly supply to a cruel $51 billion industry — Petland. Despite the company’s claim that they do not sell animals from large-scale commercial breeding facilities, numerous cases prove otherwise. People not only visit Petland to buy pets from the company, but many also briefly play with the animals before placing them back in their cages.

Dogs, cats, birds, mice, rabbits, aquatic animals, and reptiles all become confined in an uncomfortable living space with no hope for a happy life because of this heinous company. Of these animals, dogs, cats, and birds undergo the worst treatment.

Most dogs brought to Petland originate from puppy mills that breed dogs to sell to pet stores. These mills show no regard for the well-being of the dogs they breed. Puppies   born into overcrowded and unsanitary conditions later become kept in separate confined cages. Treated as products, the mills ship the dogs to Petland where they return, once again, to confined cages.

These dogs often grow afraid of humans and become aggressive if people play with them, but Petland continues to allow visitors and young children to play with the dogs. Although playing with a dog releases them from their cage, it makes the dog believe someone will take them home— away from the enclosed cage and maltreatment. However, when they return to their cages, it depresses the dog.

A dog shelter consists of large and open play areas where the furry friends can run free. When people visit shelters, they can pet and sometimes hold the dogs within the visitor areas, preventing the dogs from becoming restrained in cramped cages.

Petland should follow the steps of a dog shelter, but they continue to stack the dogs in cages like a can of sardines.

A 2009 exposé traced Petland’s shipping records, locating puppy mills all over the United States. More than 15,000 puppies sold to Petland stores originated from puppy mills, proving that Petland remains America’s largest retail supporter of these mills.

“Puppy mills are disgusting, all they do is pump out dogs and cats. There is no love, there is minimal care, with that you’re basically just factoring their lives,” Elisabeth Bramlett, a 2-year volunteer for the Humane Society said.

Bramlett lovingly takes stray animals into her home, where she cares for them and helps them socialize with humans and other animals until they can find a new home.

“I’ve heard not great to bad things about Petland. Animals [are] always getting sick because Petland doesn’t do the correct or enough testing for sickness. The humane society does the most testing they can on every animal [to ensure they are healthy],” Bramlett said.

Cats experience the same treatment as dogs do in puppy mills, but cats originate from kitten mills. Petland continues to support these kitten mills as well, where the facility repeatedly breeds adult cats. Responsible breeders will “retire” their female cats used for breeding at a young age, but farmers of kitten mills will continue to breed their cats from ages six to ten, or sometimes even older. Petland mistreats their cats when they receive them from kitten mills, enclosing them in small cages. These cats need space to roam around, but the cages at Petland do not allow them to do so.

Bird mills mass produce birds for the worldwide pet trade as well.  Almost all pet stores, especially large chains such as Petland, purchase their parrots from bird mills. Petland sells large parrots, ones that possess lifespans of over 70 years, meaning that the birds who do not get sold must live in a cage for that long at Petland. The tiny birds sold in Petland die because of their shortened life span. Because Petland clips their wings, the birds cannot gain the daily exercise they need. Birds also need companionship with humans and a healthy diet, but Petland does not provide that. Instead, they sell artificial bird food, when the birds require the nutrients found in insects.

Therefore, we must do our best to help these poor animals from Petland and the animals mills that hurt them.

“If you take in animals that have lived on the streets, they are more appreciative and they are happy. It’s good for the community,” Bramlett said.

Adopting a pet from a rescue shelter saves those animals who will typically end up mills. Instead of playing with pets at Petland, try volunteering at shelters who genuinely care for their animals. By understanding the wicked acts that Petland and animal mills commit, humans in today’s society can better the environment for future family pets and shelters.

All animals deserve the right to a happy and healthy life, and we must take it upon ourselves to make sure they obtain it.

For an update view The truth about Petland: Part 2

11 Comments

11 Responses to “The truth about Petland”

1. John Pippin on October 10th, 2017 5:37 PM

From the mouths of babes. You are spot on, Nati. This awareness is why more than 80 U.S. Petland stores have closed–that’s more than half their stores in the U.S. There are groups around the country that won’t stop until the entire Petland atrocity is halted.

2. Rusty Posch on October 11th, 2017 10:22 AM

Thank you for exposing Petland’s cruel operation.

3. Hannah on June 14th, 2018 4:13 PM

I guess the $2.68 million so-called rescue and advocacy groups who bought from the people they call puppy mills didn’t have room to make it into this article….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/investigations/dog-auction-rescue-groups-donations/?utm_term=.09c03a673dc9

Also, feel free to do your own investigation and read about why the former president of ASPCA left and went to work for Petland.

4. Payton on January 7th, 2019 5:54 AM

Please contact me. I’ve been working awhile on bring them down and have alot of information and proof that will help.

5. Rebecca Zavala on January 9th, 2019 1:33 PM

Payton, feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

6. Alicia Young on February 17th, 2019 1:16 PM

We were just at Petland in December. We’re looking for a dog, and they wanted $5,000 for a Golden Retriever that’s absolutely insane. We didn’t even live in the area and didn’t need all the other stuff they were offering us. So we left and went somewhere else to buy our dog for way cheaper. That place is such a ripoff.

7. DJ on March 4th, 2019 11:23 PM

JUST SAW THE TODD ULDRICH CHANNEL 9 PIECE ON PETLAND WATERFORD LAKES AND HOW THEY SOLD SEVERAL SICK PUPPIES TO PEOPLE IN THE AREA WITH GENETIC DEFECTS AFTER THEY SPENT THOUSANDS IN THE VETS OFFICE, THOUSANDS FOR THE PUPPY AND TRAINING, AND THEY WOULDN’T PROPERLY REFUND FOR ANY OF THAT. HOW GREEDY AND DISGUSTING. ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD SHOP THERE.

8. Laura Guerra on March 18th, 2019 12:36 PM

Bought a dog from petland told me it was a rescue and such and told me It was a military persons dog (I was wearing my deceased father’s dog tags ) well we got the dog he died of Ivdd .told me he was 6 months old he wasn’t .which I was fine with but when he died of something that is mainly caused by birth defects due to Inbreeding, it broke my heart and as bad as he used to get about being in kennel now makes me understand. Magui was put down at 6 years old I found out he may have been 10. Ill never know my babies birthdate but I do know these poor dogs deserve a good life and they aren’t getting it being stuck in a cage .

9. Kathleen d Maultz on March 30th, 2019 1:14 PM

I just purchased a Siberian husky from Petland and it was the worst experience I have ever had. I asked three workers if my dog was sick because it had a hacking cough only to find out my dog had Kennel cough and was assured it is completely normal.No that is not normal for a dog to have. The consumer should only know what they are dealing with when they deal with these stores.

10. Chandler on April 12th, 2019 1:25 PM

I literally work there, none of this stuff happeneds at all lol

11. Andrea on May 5th, 2019 2:07 PM

I bought a Bichon Frise Puppy from Petland for 2,323.00 and she is as healthy and happy as can be. Everything I was given to care for my puppy was worth the money and she goes to their recommended Veterinarian.

• The truth about Petland

Magnet convocation 2019

• The truth about Petland

Celebrity impact on political opinion

• The truth about Petland

Photo of the Day

It’s quiet without the seniors.

• The truth about Petland

Signs of progress: the history of deaf rights

• The truth about Petland

One man’s cult is another man’s religion

• The truth about Petland

A tribute to the graduating members of The Chant

• The truth about Petland

Photo of the Day

4 Days ’til summer

• The truth about Petland

Pick up, plant, replant

• The truth about Petland

The future looks bright

• The truth about Petland

Archives

Y2K? Not today! Looking back on the Millenium Bug 20 years later

The truth about Petland