Infinity Mirrors Exhibit entrances Atlanta community

Concluding its five-stop tour around art museums in North America, Yayoi Kusama’s “Infinity Mirrors” exhibit ended at Atlanta’s High Museum of Art on February 17, 2019. Stepping off the elevator and into the exhibit, visitors came face-to-face with an eye-catching sculpture garden of uniquely-shaped objects in front of multiple canvases of vibrant paintings. From start to finish, the sculptures and paintings left art-lovers inspired and in awe.

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff, Editor-in-Chief, Photo Editor

When one thinks of an art museum, images of oil-painted landscapes, marble busts, and old, well-dressed men with salt-and-pepper hair likely fill one’s mind. However, artist and activist Yayoi Kusama broke this artistic mold, creating an exhibit that overwhelmed and intrigued people of all ages. Her mirrored rooms, filled with patterned objects and flashing lights, fall far from the vision of a typical art exhibit.

Originally displayed at the Hirshhorn Art Museum in Washington, D.C. from February 23, 2017, to May 14, 2017, the exhibit moved to Atlanta’s High Museum of Art from November 18, 2018, to February 17, 2019. Seven rooms made up the exhibit, with each room producing a different feeling and environment based on the lighting and structures within the room. Six of the rooms had mirrored walls, which made the room appear endless—infinite—and also offered beautiful photo opportunities for attendees.

Tickets for this exhibit sold out quickly, and the museum offered only 100 walk-up tickets each day, prompting hundreds of people to set up camp outside of the museum the night before to secure their chance to see this awe-inspiring exhibit.

136,000 tickets later, the Infinity Mirrors exhibit at the High Museum came to a close on February 17, 2019. While Kusama’s work is no longer on display at the High, other exhibits around the world still have variations of “Infinity Mirrors.” At the High Museum, however, art lovers can look forward to their next exhibit, Way Out There: The Art of Southern Backroads,” which will last from March 2 and continue until May 19.

Tara Anastasoff, Editor in Chief/Photo Editor

A senior in North Cobb’s Magnet Program, Tara Anastasoff loves to learn new things, make connections with people, and shop for stationary supplies. When...