The importance of balanced sleep

Callie Kinsinger

Sleep revitalizes the body so it can perform day-to-day tasks at an efficient level. When one does sleep enough, the body falls into a mode of sleep deprivation. This can become unhealthy for anyone suffering from the effects of sleep deprivation. “When I was sleep deprived, it felt like I was half asleep all throughout the day but when I got home it was hard to sleep. I wouldn’t do it again because it was really draining physically and mentally,” sophomore Shay Potts said.

Callie Kinsinger, Features Editor

Sleep, prized time to a majority, stands as the base of each day. This vital time refuels the body as a fresh start at the beginning of each day. Sleep cycles consist of periods of REM and non-REM sleep which cycles through 5 stages. Every day, a person sleeps a range of seven to nine hours on average. 

The importance of sufficient sleep during each phase, especially deep sleep, cannot become stressed enough. This crucial sleep helps improve both physical and mental health. Physically, the body gains energy from sleep, and the brain renews its positive thoughts and attitude.

“Sleep is important to me because it greatly impacts my mood for the next few hours or the next day, how I feel and why. I usually just feel tired after taking naps and get kind of lazy, compared to longer amounts of sleeping,” sophomore Shay Potts said.

The first stage of sleep transfers the body from awake to asleep and includes relaxation and dreaming. The second stage turns into a steady, light sleep where brain waves slow down as the body muscles relax. Stages three and four take place when the body enters the deep sleep stage. As the body’s temperature lowers, breathing slows and brain waves reach the lowest levels possible, the body becomes difficult to wake up. Critical stage four allows for bodily repair and tissue growth so the body can heal.

The final stage of sleep, the REM stage, recurs every 90 minutes. The body activity acts similar to those awake, so the person becomes easily awakened. The majority of people dream at this stage of sleep.

“Sleep is important to me because sleep is like how your body regenerates itself for the next day. Honestly, I feel more well rested after taking a nap because, longer amounts of sleep, I wake up and honestly don’t feel that rejuvenated,” sophomore Pamela Musungu said.

Although it becomes less needed as people grow older, deep sleep detoxifies the brain, heals the body and refreshes and energizes the immune system. In the mind, memories collect and emotions and feelings are processed when in deep sleep. When the body does not receive the proper amount of deep sleep, sleep deprivation kicks in and the body begins to lack at performing basic activities.

“When I get hurt or sick I do feel a lot better after sleeping, it’s like good naps. I feel like it gives me a break from whatever I may be going through with a sickness or whatever,” Msungu said.

The five stages of sleep remain essential for day-to-day activities. For those lacking total deep sleep, one can find help through a medical doctor or look online for tips.