NC’s Standing Ovation takes on Thescon

Olivia Doucette

NC theater students attended the 2023 Georgia Thespian Conference this past weekend to enrich their learning. Workshops and practice auditions took place, allowing students to learn new dancing, singing and acting techniques. NC students attend this conference each year and return with new knowledge and fresh experiences.

Callie Kinsinger, Features Editor

The 2023 Georgia Thespian Conference (Thescon) took place this past weekend February 9-11 in Columbus, GA. NC theater students attended for a weekend of shows, learning and fun. Upon arrival, an opening ceremony welcomed students to the campus with a show.

Throughout the exciting weekend, various schools featured performances for attendees to watch. From Urinetown to Into the Woods, these shows allowed the students to broaden their musical knowledge and learn how advanced schools perform. NC students enjoyed seeing musical performances they may not perform during their careers later in life.

“I watched Newsies, which was phenomenal, and then I watched the Lost Boy and the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, which was definitely a good way to end it. The cast acted like adults, but they were high schoolers. The dancing in Newsies was so good, along with the set and props,” sophomore Olivia Doucette said.

Thescon also offers multiple practice audition settings, such as the Thespys program. This educational program simulates an audition for junior and senior students to receive constructive criticism, whether the audition features a solo or group.

Thescon holds various workshops taught by theater professionals, from dance class and voice training to stage management help. Attendees could learn choreography from famous musicals or participate in group activities. Other random workshops included juggling, accents and stage combat. The wide assortment of activities appealed to any theater student.

“I went to the k-pop dance workshop, juggling, accents, and ‘how to belt like a broadway star.’ I loved the k-pop dance workshop because it was really high paced and it was fun learning a different dance style compared to what I’m used to. I enjoyed learning a new skill like juggling and how it is to do a proper accent because having those skills can help me in a future audition,” sophomore Laila Sain said.

Professionals at Thescon allow students to practice skills not offered at NC, such as silks. The instructors help demonstrate in a safe way, while still helping students improve. These opportunities allow students a strong sense of what they want to aim their future toward, and what skills they need to hone for a successful career.

“It was really cool to be given the opportunity to attend this year’s Thescon and participate in the activities. Hopefully next year I can be a part of the performing part of the convention,” Doucette said.

NC students stayed in hotel rooms each night, provided with food and comfort to decompress. The campus held shops with treats and antique stores that students could explore in their free time. This way, students stayed entertained throughout the entire trip.

Theater students look forward to next year’s trip to Thescon, full of additional fun and educational opportunities. From bus rides to workshop lessons, theater students bonded and enjoyed each other’s company. The trip left students exhausted, but filled with laughter and new memories.