Jasmine Robinson turns up the heat after historic freshman season

Nathaniel Jordan
NC track hosts one of the nation’s top heptathletes: magnet sophomore Jasmine Robinson. As a freshman, Robinson broke two school records, won the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) state championship, and received multiple gold medals at the USA Track and Field (USATF) Junior Olympics. With three years left of high school track and field, Robinson has already built a collegiate level resumé.

NC magnet sophomore Jasmine Robinson continues to exhibit her excellence in the classroom and on the national stage in track and field. Seemingly overnight, Robinson transitioned from a promising young athlete to a nationally recognized name in the track community. Robinson’s historic freshman year at NC finished with a state championship and three gold medals at the Junior Olympics. She consistently improves on track and challenges herself by running with “The Heat” track club during the summer.

Robinson competed at the state championships alongside teammate and sprinting prodigy, sophomore Keira Beaumont. After the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) championship, Robinson holds two NC records. She broke the long jump record set nearly a decade ago and shattered the record for 300-meter hurdles by over 1.5 seconds. 

Keeping her grades high and run times low, she boasts a 4.0 GPA and a 14.05 second 100-meter hurdle time. Robinson runs as one of the top female track stars in the nation, ranking as the best 9th-grade 100-meter hurdler in the country and second in her class for the 400-meter hurdles. She also won gold at the USA Track and Field (USATF) Junior Olympics, racking 4381 points in the heptathlon.

She values her coaches at The Heat and  NC for guiding her to reach her future success. She plans to continue striving for the next level and aspires to compete once again as a Junior Olympian in the heptathlon next year.
“I’ve trained the whole summer to go up there [Oregon]. I went through region and sectionals to get to Oregon, I went there five days a week and I was putting in the work. I plan on going there next year,” Robinson said.

Robinson respects her coaches for taking the time out of their day to train her and make her a better athlete and a tough competitor for her peers. During the summer, she trained five days a week with The Heat to reach the Junior Olympics. Robinson heads to the track every day after school preparing for the upcoming season with the help of NC coaches who inspired her to run hurdles. With no plans on slowing down, she still strives toward goals that she wishes to meet.

“My head coach [Chad Talley], he sees potential in me and so he’s really making it come out of me. And all the coaches in general cause they put their time out there for us and they don’t get paid for it… People just see potential and they see me as an influence and I’m just like dang it’s really nice cause I didn’t expect all this,” Robinson said 

Robinson aims to lessen her hurdle time and increase her speed for the upcoming track season. Robinson not only receives attention from her school but also from colleges who search for track athletes and from other coaches.

Despite barely entering her sophomore year, Robinson inches closer to a status equal to the likes of Darren Waller and Harry Ford, two former Warriors who gained recognition for making it to the highest level in their respective sports. Already a five-time All-American and school record holder, NC students, parents and spectators can prepare for possibly the most dominant career in Warrior Nation’s history.