Governor Kemp suspends gas tax

Jacey
In response to the economic strain caused by soaring inflation, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp has declared a state of emergency and taken decisive action. Kemp’s executive order temporarily suspends the state’s excise tax on motor and locomotive fuel, offering direct relief to families. Kemp’s bold decision provides much-needed respite to residents of Georgia facing economic challenges.

Governor Brian P. Kemp takes decisive action in response to the economic challenges facing hardworking Georgians. Citing the alarming 40-year-high inflation and negative economic conditions attributed to policies originating from Washington, D.C.,  Kemp declared a state of emergency. As part of this declaration, he temporarily suspended the state’s excise tax on motor and locomotive fuel, aiming to provide direct relief to families across the state.

The executive order is scheduled to take effect Wednesday, September 13 at 12 a.m. and remain in effect until 11:59 p.m. October 12, aims to address the pressing issue of rising fuel prices. The suspension should impact fuel prices within days, offering much-needed financial respite to Georgians grappling with increasing living costs.

“From runaway federal spending to policies that hamstring domestic energy production, all Bidenomics has done is take more money out of the pockets of the middle class. While high prices continue to hit family budgets, hardworking Georgians deserve real relief, and that’s why I signed an executive order today to deliver it directly to them at the pump,” Governor Kemp said.

An analysis by Moody’s Analytics highlighted that Americans now spend $709 more per month on utilities than they did two years ago, with a $202 monthly increase compared to last year. The suspension of the excise tax translates to savings of 31.2 cents per gallon of gasoline and 35 cents per gallon of diesel fuel for Georgians. Notably, Georgians saved approximately $1.7 billion at the pump with the suspended gas tax from March through December of last year.

Kemp’s administration, in conjunction with the General Assembly, consistently pursued conservative policies. Their efforts positioned the State of Georgia to confidently suspend the collection of the state motor fuel tax, alleviating the burden of historically high gas prices.

Kemp’s decision to suspend motor fuel taxes has garnered widespread support from government officials who recognize the urgent need to address the economic challenges faced by Georgia residents. This bipartisan consensus underscores the significance of the gas tax suspension in providing relief to hardworking Georgians and maintaining Georgia’s status as the nation’s best state for business. 

“I applaud Governor Kemp’s suspension of motor fuel taxes to keep our people and our economy moving despite Washington’s inaction on rising fuel prices. Georgia’s success story is no accident – it is the result of conservative policies enacted to keep Georgia the nation’s best state for business,” Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives Jon Burn said.

The average cost of a gallon of regular gas in Georgia currently stands at $3.57, reflecting a 33-cent increase from $3.24 a year ago. The suspension of the gas tax anticipates much-needed relief to Georgia residents struggling to cope with these escalating fuel costs.

Kemp’s decision to declare a state of emergency and temporarily suspend the gas tax remains a bold step in addressing the pressing economic challenges faced by Georgians. The relief offered at the pump should ease the financial strain caused by surging inflation, putting money back in the hands of hardworking families. 

“Suspending the gas tax is actually going to help me save money. Since I live in Smyrna and I’m in magnet, my drive varies based on which route I go from 16 to 18 miles so the gas tax suspension will help me because it’s less gas money per mile. I can put this money towards other purchases or in my savings account,” magnet senior Kortlyn Riley said.