Friday, October 13 brings fright

Callie Kinsinger
This Friday marks the first Friday the thirteenth in October since 2017, introducing the bad luck phenomenon for one unusual day. The unluckiest day of all brings a frivolous night of fright to spook lovers until the next one in 2028. To celebrate, fans watch horror movies, attend haunted houses and enjoy other activities that thrill them.

For the first time since 2017, Friday, October 13, resurfaces as a night of true terror. The unlucky number 13, similar to the superstitions of breaking a mirror or seeing a black cat, has inspired several movies, books and Halloween costumes. Appearing at least once a year, Friday the 13th inspires fearful thoughts, but when the date falls in October, the fear rises to a new level. Western culture holds a superstition that with 13 comes misfortunate events, as it follows the number 12, a symbol of completeness.

The number 13’s negative connotation seemingly stems from the Bible. Judas became the 13th guest at the Last Supper, betraying Jesus and leading to his crucifixion. This biblical event supposedly marked the beginning of the unlucky number, as 13 guests at the same dinner table became a cursed omen. Notable horrendous historical events also commonly appear on Friday the 13th, which causes various people to believe the 13th summons the downfall of events. For example, in 1307, French King Philip IV ordered the arrest and execution of a majority of the Knights Templar, a significant historical event numerous choose to believe originated on Friday the 13th.

“I guess I do believe in bad luck primarily because I guess I’m just a big believer in what goes around comes around. Usually, if you’re bad to people it usually comes back to you. I’ve noticed that all of that usually happens on a day, and it has been the 13th of Fridays,” junior Aidan Hardegree said.

Friday, the Thirteenth”, written by Thomas William Lawson, conveyed the story of a stockbroker crashing the stock market Friday the 13th, 1907. Showing success, the book later turned into a silent film. Similarly, the movie “Friday the 13th,” released in 1980 told the story of a group of camp counselors stalked by a killer, later identified as Jason. As the movie exploded, an entire franchise followed, encouraging games, spin-offs, costumes and comics.

“I normally have my friends come over on or around Friday the 13th in celebration of the Halloween season and we watch scary movies. I think it’s fun to just be scared for a night and get excited for the upcoming season,” junior Adam White said.

Several real phobias originate from the fear of the number 13 and the fear of Friday the 13th such as triskaidekaphobia and paraskavedekatriaphobia. These fears cause a high deal of anxiety and avoidance but frequently become overlooked because of the silly myths that tag along with the day and number. However, the legends linked to the tragic day prove false when conducted under experiment, and instead lead to enjoyable parties and celebrations held by horror lovers.

In celebration of the date, several tattoo shops offer discounts and sales on a fresh piece of ink. Originated by Oliver Peck, the tradition of tattooing a 13 on people for only $13 on Friday the 13th arose. The day now presents as similar to a holiday to tattoo artists and lovers, allowing cheap tattoos for a horror-filled day.

While several watch or rewatch the “Friday the 13th” movies, others enjoy spooky-themed parties in preparation for Halloween. This year, the date allows a prelude to the haunted season, and people gain excitement for the upcoming scary holiday. Whether one avoids the day or embraces it, Friday the 13th surely brings a scare to anyone.

“I think it’s going to be cool that today is one of very few Fridays the 13th in October because it doesn’t happen a lot. I think it is the perfect way to get ready for Halloween, and although I don’t think anything bad is going to happen, it will be a fun night to watch or do something scary,” White said.