Benefits outweigh sweltering heat of Hot Yoga

Melissa Sagaseta

Hot Yoga instructors encourage students to focus on oneself. The main focus of Yoga, Meditation, takes the practice to a level of self-empowerment and self-gratitude. At the end of the class, they give thanks to themselves and the other students in the room as well.

Melissa Sagaseta, Reporter, photographer

Imagine a sweltering tropical island, but without the pleasant cool breeze. That description accurately conveys the atmosphere of a Hot Yoga Class. Although the thought seems disconcerting, the benefits and the experience far exceed the doubts. The practice not only encourages weight loss, it also stimulates the body and mind.

Hot Yoga rooms are set at temperatures around 100 degrees fahrenheit, often relying on humidifiers to moisten yoga students. Coming prepared for a class includes multiple bottles of water, a towel, and a yoga mat. While concerns of heat exhaustion exist, following the guidelines and tips from instructors limits the risk.

Not to get confused with Bikram Yoga, in which you practice the same 26 poses each time, Hot Yoga comes in many styles and poses. Styles include Hot Vinyasa, Power Flow, and Vinyasa Basics to ensure you do not fall into a monotonous cycle. The classes range from 60 to 75 minutes in length, shorter than Bikram Yoga. The length stands a key factor in deciding the type of yoga you want to practice.

To make the hunting for a yoga studios easier, here is a list of Hot Yoga Studios around your area. Make sure to inform yourself of their prices to better decide on the studio for you.
Melissa Sagaseta

The benefits of the practice makes the heat far more bearable. Along with increasing flexibility, Hot Yoga ensures an improvement in heart health and assists in lowering blood pressure. In addition, practicing in the heat increases cardiovascular activity and speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids. Additional benefits include detoxification of the body, elevated mood, enhanced concentration, and an increase in metabolism.  

Although the classes prices may overwhelm some, many yoga studios offer deals and discounts for their clients. Drop-in classes can range anywhere from 10 to 15 dollars, while session packages can exceed 70 dollars. Make sure to ask about monthly deals and student discounts at your chosen studio to get the best offer out there.