Sadie Hawkins provides opportunity for female empowerment

Leda Catak, Reporter

Plot twist: NC celebrates its first annual Sadie Hawkins dance on January 21, which requires girls to ask out guys. Though much has been said about this revival of an old-fashioned trend, instead of dreading the event, students should focus on the myriad opportunities that will lead to a night of unforgettable memories.

Many do not consider this as the “norm” for students. The tradition of a guy asking a girl to any type of themed-dance persists but Tribal Connections (TC) staff and students proceeded to make Sadie Hawkins official and turn social norms on their heads.

Females deserve the chance to prove their ability to do what society perceives as masculine. Feminism plays a vital role in this case and helps break the broad tradition of men asking women. Students sometimes covet for changes to take place and want their school to step up the game. Why not appreciate it while the chance lasts?

In addition to this thought, the pro-dancers of NC can steal a night for themselves and receive the attention they desire since there will not be many students attending the event.

“There has been a decline in the purchase of tickets at our first annual Sadie Hawkins dance compared to the amount of purchases made for the homecoming dance,” Senior and TC member Dakota Goodwin says.

People who do not favor the idea of immense crowds will enjoy this event and students who constantly complain about the temperature being too sweltering will hopefully cool down. Less crowds mean more room and more room results in amusement.

Of course, behind a hasty dance floor lies a successful DJ. DJ Craig Wright, also known as our DJ from this year’s homecoming, will be the DJ for yet another one of our themed dances. It will be beyond exciting to watch his connection with students through his masterpieces.

Furthermore, the fact that Valentine’s Day remains approaching may influence the idea of new relationships to spark. Look into each other’s eyes, smile at each other, dance until your shoes leave you bruises, and seek to make the most of the first annual Sadie Hawkins dance.