Battle of the Best: Maddox and Nasr may share valedictorian title

Spencer Maddox and Nick Nasr arm wrestle one another for the title of valedictorian, since their academic careers mimic one anothers success. Prior to taking this photo Maddox and Nasr were working hard in their AP classes. “Maybe we should run a 100 meter dash, because as a cross country runner I know I can beat Spencer in that”, Nick Nasr said.

Tarleshia Jean Pierre

Spencer Maddox and Nick Nasr arm wrestle one another for the title of valedictorian, since their academic careers mimic one another’s success. Prior to taking this photo Maddox and Nasr were working hard in their AP classes. “Maybe we should run a 100 meter dash, because as a cross country runner I know I can beat Spencer in that”, Nick Nasr said.

Sophia Mapua, Reporter

After four long years of hard work and devotion, seniors Spencer Maddox and Nicholas Nasr share the possibility of becoming co-valedictorians for the NC Class of 2015.

“Spencer never broadcasts the fact that he’s valedictorian. He’s always humble about his academic life,” senior Aidan Strassmann said.

Both students, who hold a 4.6 GPA and have taken over 14 AP courses throughout high school, still maintain their respect among their peers as they secure their ranking.

“Nick is dedicated in both academics and athletics. He strives to do his best in all his AP classes,” senior Arsheen Kour said.

Although the two may compete against one another academically, they still encourage one another’s academic success and talents.

“I’ve had classes with Nick and he’s great at history,” Maddox said.

Nasr described Maddox as “an outgoing, level-headed guy who’s awesome at math.”.

At the top of the senior class, both students share their secrets to success.

“You have to pay attention in class and make sure you get enough sleep,” Maddox said. Nick wholeheartedly agreed. “You have to make sure you focus. Go in early or stay late after school if you need help. The quality of work overpowers the quantity of hours you spend studying,” Nasr said.

While not studying for exams, both students participate in a variety of extracurricular activities. Since his sophomore year, Maddox has dedicated his free time to founding and organizing a Fantasy Sports Club. On the other hand, Nasr diversifies himself as a member of Model UN, National Honor Society, debate team, and economics challenge team.

Amazingly enough, these students have managed to balance their academic and social lives. On the weekends, Maddox loves to play poker, tell quality jokes, and kick back to Journey and Led Zeppelin. In his spare time, Nasr enjoys running, playing soccer, and hanging out with his family and friends.

In the future, Maddox plans to pursue a career as an environmental engineer, while Nasr wants to become an international intellectual property management lawyer. Wherever these two students end up, North Cobb will continue to commemorate their achievements.