Nine have signed: NC student-athletes prepare for their next chapters

Nathaniel Jordan
Among diversity, academics, international studies and scholarship, NC values its strong athletic program. This semester, nine players—one playing a non-school-sponsored sport—signed to their colleges. As they continue their athletic journeys, The Chant wishes them all the best.

Wednesday, April 17, nine extraordinary NC athletes signed to play their sports at the collegiate level. Family, friends and peers made their way into the Arena to watch the talented seniors declare their home for the next four years. These nine Warriors easily embody NC’s motto to “Inspire Excellence.”

Haley Wilson 

After verbally committing in early January, Wilson signed to Berry College for equestrian and will head to Mount Berry, Georgia in the fall. Wilson currently remains the only athlete to participate in NC signing day for a non-school-sponsored sport. Given Wilson has been engaged with the sport since before the age of five, she has spent the majority of her life riding, bonding with and taking care of horses. Wilson— even with her packed equestrian schedule— still manages to boast an excellent GPA and win various academic awards for her involvement in and out of the classroom. Go Vikings!

“I knew Berry College was the right fit for me as soon as I stepped on campus. Everyone there is so nice and welcoming. My future team and coach welcomed me with open arms and I felt like I’ve known them my whole life. These next 4 years look like being able to further my education and my riding career with some of the top riders and students. I will study psychology and marketing while at Berry College,” Wilson said. 

Defender Brenda Jimnah (11)

Two days before signing day, Jimnah announced her commitment via Instagram to Oglethorpe University in Brookhaven, Georgia to play lacrosse. From her position as NC’s Interact club’s treasurer to her role as NC’s varsity girls lacrosse team (7-10) captain, Jimnah undoubtedly embodies the epitome of a leader on and off the field. As a defender and team captain, Jimnah has led her team through seven wins, including a thrilling 11-10 win over rival Kennesaw Mountain (6-9). Go Stormy Petrels!

“These next few years for me look hopeful and promising. This spring season I suffered a season-ending injury, which discouraged me. But now that I’m fully committed to playing lacrosse at Oglethorpe, I’m looking forward to my first game back on the turf,” Jimnah said.

Outside hitter Nikol Antova (16)

Warriors around campus know Antova for her integral role in the girls’ varsity volleyball team’s (42-9) victory in the Georgia High School Association(GHSA) state championship against the 15-time champions, the Walton Raiders (21-7). Antova ranks seventh in the state with over 500 kills. After announcing her commitment in the first week of April, the Region 5 player of the year will continue her volleyball expertise at the University of Montevallo in Montevallo, Alabama. Go Falcons!

Mana Fawcett

As a four-year varsity star, Fawcett has served both as a magnificent leader and a skilled player for NC’s girls varsity tennis team. Off the court, Fawcett performs exemplary in the classroom and in her extracurricular activities. Her heart lies in community service as she serves as NC’s chapter of the National Honor Society’s (NHS) community service chair, a role in which she planned events such as NC’s annual Shop with a Warrior. Concluding her senior season after NC’s tennis invitationals in early March, Fawcett continues to boast a three-star rating on Tennis Recruiting. She will head to the University of West Georgia to play Division I tennis on scholarship. Go West!

Defensive Midfielder Savannah Bywaters (15)

Playing as a midfielder on NC’s girls’ lacrosse team for all four years of high school, Bywaters has helped guide younger members and build the team’s strength and dynamic. She will lead her team in playing against the Walton Raiders (13-4) April 18, which currently stands as the #1 team in the region. She verbally committed to Piedmont University October 14, 2023, and will continue to play lacrosse while majoring in art therapy. Go Lions!

“Piedmont was my top choice during my recruitment process because it is far enough away that I can live independently but close enough to where I can come home. Also, when meeting the team I clicked with them almost immediately and I enjoyed the coaching staff’s coaching style. The next four years will be challenging trying to manage classes, a sport, and hopefully a job,” Bywaters said.

Tyler Goldfine

Similar to Fawcett, Goldfine has also played for NC tennis for four years. Earning impressive wins over teams such as the Campbell Spartans and Lassiter Trojans, Goldfine undoubtedly deserves his chance to play at the collegiate level. Goldfine has earned various awards from the U.S. Tennis Association (USTA) and will continue his career at Midway University in Midway, Kentucky. Go Eagles!

“I knew the college was a right fit when I met the coach and the team. Everyone was super welcoming and the teachers were nice as well. To me, the next four years are going to be busy with academics and tennis. I imagine I will be tough on a schedule every day,” Goldfine said.

Defender Jackson Ball (18)

February 20, Ball announced his commitment to play for LaGrange College in LaGrange, Georgia. During his time in high school, he has acted as a team captain for multiple years on NC’s varsity boy’s lacrosse team (9-8 ). As a defender, he has helped NC win nine games this season, including their victory over rival Kennesaw Mountain. Off NC’s field, Ball boasts a 4.0+ GPA and plays in the 3D lacrosse club. With a strong work ethic, he will undoubtedly serve as an asset to LaGrange’s team. Go, Grangers!

“[Lagrange] checked all the boxes for me for what I want out of my college experience: close to home, any major I could ever want to pursue, and competitive lacrosse. To me, it looks like an opportunity to grow and learn in a new environment with different people,” Ball said. 

Midfielder Alejandro Melendez (14)

Melendez plays both for NC’s varsity soccer team and for Mid City Club soccer. Flaunting the highest assist rate among his teammates, Melendez stands as one of the best players on NC’s soccer team. The midfielder signed with Oglethorpe University to continue his academic and athletic career. Go Stormy Petrels!

“I got along with the coaches at OU very well. I felt welcomed and wanted at the school. I also heard many great things about the college. I want to win, and I know I’ll do that OU. The next year will consist of discipline and dedication. Let my actions do the talking,” Melendez.

Long Snapper and Tight End James Roe (24)

Playing on NC’s beloved varsity football team since his sophomore year, Roe has utilized his build and agility to aid the defense and rack points for NC. During his junior year, Roe scored his notable touchdown against the Walton Raiders and made his mark on the team. When not in the endzone and scoring, he serves as a long snapper and defends as a tight end. He will continue his sports career at the University of Toledo in Toledo, Ohio. Go Rockets!