Want to kill the love of reading? Assign summer reading

Sophia Mackey, Reporter

School ends, summer begins, and relaxation mode turns on. Then, it immediately shuts off when teachers remind students to check the summer assignments link on the school website. Two thoughts cross my mind every time I read these assignments: Why am I being forced to read? And why can’t I spend my free time on my hobbies?

Schools continue to assign books, but honestly, those who want to read will and those who don’t won’t. Reading involves more than looking at words on a page. It takes a special desire for a book to hold meaning and importance.

This emotional connection and sincerity can’t be found in a book one has no interest in reading. Senior Shea Hill says, “forcing someone to read a book will cause them to just get it done rather than actually enjoy it and increase their education from it. Suggesting it, however, allows a student to learn how they learn best.” So why does summer reading even exist?

AP Literature teacher Mrs. Porter says, “In the past, we’ve tried to maximize students time to get the most out of it. It’s similar to sports conditioning or practice. It’s just off-season conditioning.”

I agree. Students shouldn’t sink into their couches with chips and a remote control. But why aren’t we allowed to? Not all of us plan on becoming couch potatoes. I mean, we get less than three months off. Each day during summer counts for us.

I, along with other students, enjoy spending any extra time I can scrape together on my hobbies. During the school year, I find it nearly impossible to find time to draw or read. Our skill development depends on those few weeks off to grow. Should we further develop our reading skills? Maybe. It’s just a suggestion.