Not a “Goodbye,” but a “See you later”

The Chant Staff

Throughout this year’s ups and downs, hilarious articles and comments, and heated publications office debates, the unbreakable bond of The Chant staff has only grown stronger. Our newspaper family grew from 28 members to 30, with each of them bringing new ideas and new energy to the publication. This year brought challenges and frustrations, but it also allowed us to become flexible and grow not only as a staff, but as individual people. However, while our newspaper would not exist without motivated reporters and photographers, The Chant would like to dedicate this article to adviser Lindsay Theaker, who has put her time and faith into each member on staff. Her kind heart, warm hugs, stunning pun-making abilities, and endless supply of sticky notes have made the walls of NC a better place. Thank you for everything, we love you.

Tara: From your positive words of encouragement to your desire to slowly take over the world with memes, you continue to inspire me every day to become a better person. You have touched the lives of everyone you come across through your kindred spirit and ever-growing heart. I love that I can have light hearted conversations with you about the best type of pens and The Bachelor, but also have serious conversations about day to day life. I met you in 2016 as my teacher; I never would have imagined that two years later you would leave such a positive impact on my life. Keep being a beacon of light and inspiring the world to learn all they can, love unconditionally, and laugh until they can’t breathe. I love you.

Jacob: You’ve had a profound effect on my life, probably one I’ll realize the full extent of in the coming years. I’ve told you about my deep respect for you, but I’d like to reiterate it one last time. You are a woman of intense passion and joy, one that everyone who crosses you is lucky to meet. I will never forget the memories of being on this newspaper staff and developing myself as both a journalist and a person. I’m sad to see you go, you always defined what this class meant to me. You will be the best mother ever someday, and I’m excited to see the inevitable Instagram posts of you and your growing family. Don’t ever lose your positive attitude about the world, and don’t stop being an amazing writing teacher and resource.

Leda: You have been the highlight of my day for two years. You’ve listened to my rants about Chemistry, and you have been there through it all. I know I can talk to you about everything. In two years, I have realized that one of the reasons I love newspaper is because of you. Your enthusiasm, the way you talk about things that frustrate you, and the way you are able to be a calm source makes you the most perfect teacher ever. Thank you for always offering hugs when us crazy teenagers have our rough days. Thank you for being a shoulder to lean on, for giving motherly advice, and for going to bat for us always. You have touched all of our lives in many ways, and there are simply not enough times we can thank you for that. You make us smile, you make us laugh, you are a ray of sunshine on the darkest days. I love you.

Shannon: I cannot thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me. I appreciate all the talks you’ve had with me when I was going through a rough patch and hugging me when I was upset. You truly have made a positive impact on my high school experience and for that, I will be forever grateful. I know I speak for both my sister and I that you have been the one teacher that we both trust and have so much love and appreciation for. Thank you for all that you’ve done. Much love always.

Esteban: I will never forget this experience. Your positivity and enthusiasm makes my day, regardless of what’s going on. I will miss you, even though you will still be across the hall. I’m so excited to see you continue to thrive as a teacher and person.

Rachel: Words cannot explain the impact you have had on my life. You constantly encourage me every step of the way. I never would have been able to achieve all I have without your guidance. You fill every class with love and passion, and it has made me a better, happier person. You have helped me discover what I truly love doing. Without this class, I would still be lost with what I want to do with my life. Your dedication has inspired me and has made me realize that if I want something, it is up to me and me only. Thank you for dedicating all of yourself to us and sticking with us at our lowest points.

Isabella: You have inspired me from the moment I stepped into you room and made me realize that I love journalism. My mom always told me that finding an amazing teacher is one in a million, but with you I won the lottery. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explore journalism and photography in your class. I will always cherish our time together, and I cannot wait for you to become an amazing mother someday.

Khalil: None of what this staff has been able to do would have been possible without you. I cannot possibly explain how grateful I am to have had you as my adviser for this time.

Harrison: From the first day of sophomore year to now, I’ve been incredibly lucky to have you as a teacher, adviser, and mentor. I’ve learned far more than I ever could have imagined and developed my writing in surprising new ways. I’m grateful to you for all the work that you’ve put into keeping this publication flourishing and for your unfailing kindness and attention to every member of the staff. Best of luck in your future endeavors, and thank you for the immense amount that you’ve already accomplished.

Erin: When I came to your class last semester, I didn’t have very much confidence in myself or my writing. Writing without hit words was a challenge at first, and interviewing people I didn’t know was terrifying. Slowly but surely, I got the hang of it, and having to go up to my peers and other teachers for quotes helped me come out of my shell. I’ve become less reserved and more comfortable with my writing.  Being in your class showed me I was capable of writing more than just fiction; I really enjoy reporting and writing news stories. My favorite memory in your class is most definitely watching Shattered Glass with you and cringing at how insane Stephen Glass was. Thank you for encouraging me and always expecting the best from me. I feel grateful to have met you and been able to be on staff; newspaper has improved my writing so much and helped me step out of my comfort zone.

Josh: Thank you for being such an amazing teacher these past two years. Your constant smile and positive reinforcement has really helped me get through the day to day of high school. As I said the other day, you can really tell how much you care about your students and I hope you know we notice. Love yah.

Maddie: From my first article, to my first terrible interview, to my passion for the past, you stood by me, helped me, and encouraged me to do and write whatever I felt I needed to.
Thank you for acting more as a friend or a mom rather than a teacher and making me feel comfortable talking to you about anything. Thank you for encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone. Thank you for helping me improve my writing style beyond compare. Thank you for standing by and helping me during one of my many injuries and migraines.
I know that you will just be across the hall and that I can visit you when you do not have a class, but I will miss you so much, from your devotion to the site and the staff to your weird fascinations with memes and Harry Potter. Thanks for being you and for teaching and helping me grow as a writer and as a person.

Morgan: Thank you for being an inspiration daily, a person I can tell anything to, and the kindest person I know. I am beyond grateful to have had you as my teacher and friend. I love you.

Nati: You are such an amazing teacher, and your dedication to journalism has inspired me to further my interest in it. You are one of a kind, truly. I have never seen such love and kindness in a teacher before. Your strength and empowerment has inspired me to become a better student and journalist. Thank you for everything you do, there’s no one in this world like you!

Michayla: Thank you for being our newspaper adviser. Thank you for always being an encouraging ray of light in my school day and in my life. I love you so much!

Jayden: You brought me into newspaper, which is the best thing to happen to me at North Cobb yet. It’s my favorite class and you are my favorite teacher. I seriously would try to get AP Lang again next year just to have you once more. You are sunshine in human form and always positive, saying absurd things like “Happy Monday!” every week 😉 Anyone can come to you with hardships, personal issues, or even just to chat and you are always there, always making time. I love talking to you and seeing you. I am absolutely privileged to have gotten to have you for three hours a day every other day. You are an excellent teacher, a phenomenal person, and you deserve everything good and pure the world has to offer. Thank you for believing in me enough to put me on your newspaper staff, thank you for being unfailingly there for all of us, and thank you for making my life a little bit brighter every day. I love you always Mrs. T.

Sorry for all of the hit words in this. At least it isn’t in Comic Sans.