American Sign Language club revived

Naoshin Kaiser

Another eager student grabs an American Sign Language Club information slip posted outside of the ASL classroom. Meetings are held Wednesday afternoons at 3:30 in room 604.

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter/Photographer

Back in the swing of the school year, the American Sign Language (ASL) club makes its entrance with a strong start. Although the club existed last year, it went inactive due to a lack of participation. Alongside ASL teacher Christina Hopper, 11th grade American Literature teacher Sue Jackson, lends her helping hand to the ASL club. Together, they fill with excitement about restoring the club.

Last school year, the club began after Jackson found three students sitting in the hallway trying to learn Sign Language from an app on their cell phones. Since she knows sign language, Jackson decided to take over the club herself.

The meetings consisted of the students sharing signs among each other. Eager to transform the club, Hopper decided to take it into her own hands.

“I want students to gain awareness for American Sign Language and give students that could not get into the class a chance to learn sign as well,” Hopper said.

Hopper created activities for the ASL club to participate in around the community. Hopper stands as the adviser, and senior and president of ASL club Sarah el-Masri, ultimately holds most of the say in the club’s endeavors.

Hopper would like to see the club fundraise for a deaf camp that will take place over the summer, creating a charitable energy for the club. As the students grow fond of the club, Hopper and el-Masri hope to one day use sign language to perform the national anthem at a NC football game with all club members.

El-Masri decided to take on the responsibility of leading a club because of her love for the ASL class. She would like to see the club perform a song in sign language at an oratorical contest and attend field trips to deaf socials throughout the year. Since she leads the club, el-Masri constructed her own goals for the club that include raising awareness for the deaf community and encouraging students to enroll in the course.

“We would like to pair some of our students [who] have taken the class with students [that] have not during club meetings,” el-Masri said.

For their first active year at NC, the ASL club started strong—already holding two meetings. The leaders hope to make an impact in the deaf community and meet every Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 in room 308.