Assistant Principal by day, athletic director by night

Williams+enters+his+new+office+as+he+takes+on+the+day+as+assistant+principal.+The+new+office+gives+him+space+to+embrace+his+two+roles+and+is+placed+in+an+easy+spot+for+students+and+teachers+to+reach+him.+
Williams enters his new office as he takes on the day as assistant principal. The new office gives him space to embrace his two roles and is placed in an easy spot for students and teachers to reach him.

Naoshin Kaiser

Naoshin Kaiser

Naoshin Kaiser, Photographer

One of NC’s Physical Education teachers and Athletic Director Matthew Williams now takes on the position of Assistant Principal. For the past 19 years, Williams worked as a physical education teacher here at NC. He wants to build NC into a place where students approach school with a positive attitude and have a safe learning environment. Williams plans to implement his ideas into NC through his new position as one of the five assistant principals this school year.

“I loved being a PE teacher, it allowed me to build a tighter bond with students, but with this position I get to make more relationships and do more for the student body,” Williams said.

Principal Moody and the Cobb County School board offered Williams the position in the beginning of June, and Williams approaches this new opportunity with a positive attitude. Williams and Moody both share the same ambitions for NC, and together they wish to further their careers and create an environment for students to participate in school activities. The Assistant Principal role provides Williams the opportunity to do more for the school as a whole and not just a in a classroom.

“I’ve picked up other duties within the school—different and more challenging. [This is] a newer role for me, but I have embraced my role and worked really hard at it,”  Williams said.

His main goal resides in making NC a school where students come to school   enthusiastic and happy everyday. Williams’ new role provides an opportunity for him to cherish moments with new faces and build bonds with all students.

As a Physical Education teacher, Williams built relationships with students in his classes, but now as Assistant Principal, he creates bonds with unfamiliar faces, allowing Williams to further connect to the student body with his new role.

The Assistant Principal and Athletic Director duo role provides Williams the chance to make all kinds of relationships and connections with the diverse study body of NC–from making relationships with peers and other administrators, to connections with athletes on the field.

Naoshin Kaiser
Mr .Williams monitors both C and D lunches in the main cafeteria. He talks to students during their lunch and smiles erupt as Williams makes students laugh, and enjoy friendly banter throughout the lunch period.

“Being Assistant Principal allows me to get out of my classroom and do stuff for more than just a group of kids,” Williams said.

Throughout the day, Williams’ Assistant Principal role gives him the duties of monitoring the lunchroom and assisting teachers and students for instructional help, but as Athletic Director he drives the athletic department. He keeps up with scheduling games, transporting athletes, and clearing gyms and fields for practices.

Williams hopes to balance out these two jobs and create equal time for both; he embraces his new role and and aspires to fulfil his goal for NC—a place where he hopes students come happily to everyday.