How to give back this holiday season

Shannon Rapp

The holiday season serves as the best time to give back to others. Plenty of opportunities to give back present themselves to students through local shelters, schools, and community centers. Remember to give back this season and show gratitude towards others.

Shannon Rapp, Entertainment Editor

With the holiday season finally in full swing, selfishness can begin to take over the minds of families who do not struggle financially. People often fail to remember that not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving and Christmas with a hot meal or with presents to open, instead, the less fortunate spend it working or ravaging to find a meal. However, plenty of ways exist to put joy into the needy’s typically bleak holiday season.

Shop with a Warrior, an annual event that takes place at NC, provides struggling families with the opportunity to send their children to purchase gifts for the whole family. A perfect event for students to give back to the community, they will learn how to budget for gifts and ultimately give a family an unforgettable Christmas.

An abundance of soup kitchens and food pantries surround the Acworth/Kennesaw area, and students should take advantage of the benefits working at one of these establishments can provide. Stationed in Mars Hill Presbyterian Church, the Acworth Emergency Food Pantry allows for donations, as well as a scheduled pickup time for those who need to pick up food items for their families. St. Francis Table, located in the heart of Atlanta, takes place at the Catholic Shrine of Immaculate Conception every Saturday starting at 7 a.m. Volunteers prepare soup, sandwiches, coffee, desserts, and drinks, and guests enter at 10 a.m. The soup kitchen lasts from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and leaves guests with happily filled stomachs.

Participating in a giving tree donation serves as another great way to give back to the community this holiday season. Churches, schools, and even stores like Old Navy decorate Christmas trees with paper cut ornaments with items on them for people to donate. Simply pick one of the ornaments and purchase the item on it to make someones holiday season truly special.  

Unfortunately, during the holiday season, people who work in professions like firefighting, police work, or military must keep working. To show gratitude and appreciation to those who give up their holidays, putting together a care package can brighten these workers’ day. Throw in some baked goodies, chapstick, candy, a thank you note, and anything else necessary to celebrate the hard work and dedication that these people give our community.

Although the winter season fills the hearts of people with joy and warmth, not everyone can celebrate the season with the same amount of enthusiasm. Taking time out of one’s busy holiday schedule to aid the needy can truly make a difference in someone’s day. Remember to show kindness this holiday season by aiding the less fortunate by embracing the sensation of giving.