DIY gifting made easy

DIY gifting made easy

Gift your families and friends with gifts that they will love. These inexpensive gifts only require easy-to-find products and prove simple for those lacking a creative imagination.

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim, Reporter, Photographer

Christmas: the perfect time to show family and friends appreciation through a gift. Gift-shopping can become difficult, and costly with a large family or group of friends, however, the idea to “do-it-yourself” takes a new spin on gift-giving. These easy and inexpensive DIY gifts will leave your family members and wallet smiling.

DIY Ornament

This fun and easy-to-make gift only requires a couple of products.

1. First, you will need an ornament, easily found at a local Dollar Tree or Hobby Lobby.
  2. Next, you will need an item to fill the ornament with. This cute tree decoration allows makers to put their imaginations to the test and express their holiday cheer.

DIY Sugar Scrub:

This stocking stuffer contains simple ingredients found around the kitchen. The scrub only requires coconut or olive oil, brown sugar, essential oils (optional), and a small mason jar.

1. Mix coconut oil and brown sugar together until you achieve a grainy texture.
  2. Add essential oil to the mixture and scoop it into a jar.

Gift this sugar scrub to someone who needs relaxation, time, and a chance to feel refreshed.

DIY Snow Globe:

This unique gift will leave family and friends wondering if you purchased this from the local Target. While this gift appears confusing at first glance, it requires minimal effort. You will need an empty mason jar, water, a strong holding glue (preferably a hot glue gun), a figurine, and glitter to add the effect of snow.  

1. Find an empty jar and unscrew the top. Position your figurine on the the cap of the mason jar using the glue to keep it secure.
  2. Next, fill the jar with water to about three-quarters of the jar to prevent water from overflowing.
  3. Add glitter to the water and screw the top back onto the jar.
  4. Add glue to the sides of the cap to keep it more secure. Enjoy shaking your homemade globe this holiday season.

Mini Terrarium:

This year commenced the rise of succulent plants. These plants took over shelves at home decor stores and even clothing shops. However, these sometimes overpriced plants can cost less than twenty dollars to create. To achieve this gift, start by obtaining a miniature terrarium-shaped vase, fake rocks, a faux succulent plant, sand, a hot glue gun, and a string (optional).

1. Buy a terrarium vase and spread hot glue along the bottom. Before this dries, sprinkle a thin layer of sand on top of the glue.
  2. Afterwards, add a couple of rocks for the next layer. On top of a couple of the rocks, place a dot of hot glue to ensure the succulent plant will remain secure in the terrarium.
  3. Attach twine to the inside of the hole at the top of the vase, which will allow individuals to hang the plant above a cozy desk space.

Family Recipe Jar:

Baking and cooking is not always a strong suit for particular students. However, this recipe jar requires very little baking or cooking. This just requires individuals to combine dry ingredients into a jar.

1. Start by obtaining a recipe for a tasty dessert, or your family’s favorite dish.
  2. Purchase all the dry ingredients needed for the recipe. Layer the ingredients in an organized fashion into the mason jar.
  3. Create the list for the recipe—including measurements—and add baking instructions.
  4. Decorate the jar in a way that describes the person receiving the gift, or just keep it simple.

Start this holiday season off right with these inexpensive and homemade gifts that will surely satisfy family and friends, and your wallet with thank you for the thriftiness.

Jessica Joachim, Photgrapher

Jessica Joachim is a junior at North Cobb and is beginning her first year in journalism, hopefully as a photographer. Jessica is in the magnet program...