Netflix makes a stop in Nigeria

Netflix makes a stop in Nigeria

Genevieve Nnaji offers watchers a new perspective of her lavish life in Nigeria as she plays the main character Adaeze. Adaeze overcomes the sexist societal barriers in her home country and sets an example for others to follow. Nnaji proves successful in her country and continues to change views on Nigerian culture.

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim, Reporter, Photographer

Netflix made headlines as the company adopted a recent “Nollywood” film. Lionheart initially released on September 7, however, Netflix obtained rights for the movie and paved the way for their newest Nigerian film, which appeared on the app on January 4.

Netflix continues to expand their horizons with international films and shows, even including a tab for it alongside other genres. Netflix presents users with German movies, Chinese movies, and other diverse genres.

Lionheart takes place in Nigeria and features the director, who also takes an alternate role as the main character, Genevieve Nnaji. Nnaji, who plays Adaeze in the movie, undergoes challenges when her father gives her the responsibility to run the family business and attempts to save the company from severe debt.

The movie promotes West African and Nigerian culture by incorporating the Igbo language—found in Enugu—along with the Hausa and Yoruba language found in neighboring Nigerian states. Lionheart does not fail at displaying the wealth and diversity of the Nigerian people, and Adaeze and her family live comfortably in their elaborate home and enjoy luxurious amenities.

The heartwarming comedy allows Adaeze to break stereotypical barriers in the sexist society through her persistent attitude and hard work.

Nnaji continues to defy the odds as her movie “[is] the first Nigerian movie to reach this milestone; it marks Nnaji as the first female producer in Nigeria to do so.”

Lionheart successfully displays the importance of working together and helping one another in order to achieve more success. Hopefully, Netflix will continue to extend and promote diversity as they provide a new perspective to life outside of the U.S.

Jessica Joachim, Photgrapher

Jessica Joachim is a junior at North Cobb and is beginning her first year in journalism, hopefully as a photographer. Jessica is in the magnet program...