Pitching his way to college

Pitching his way to college

Senior Jonathan Young pitches for his spring travel team the Colt .45s furthering his education and baseball career at Chattahoochee Valley Community College. Having played for NC, Young has signed with Chattahoochee Valley joining several athletes recruited from NC fields.

courtesy of Jonathan Young

courtesy of Jonathan Young

courtesy of Jonathan Young

Dehlin Lee, Reporter, Photographer

Swinging his way out of senior year Jonathan Young recently committed to Chattahoochee Valley community college to continue his 15-year-long baseball career. After his first visit to Chattahoochee Valley, Young felt at home as soon as he saw the college and immediately knew he wanted to attend.

At the age of three, Young’s parents signed him up for a season of baseball and Young’s little boy, baseball-loving heart fell in love. Young played on multiple teams over the years, but currently plays for the East Cobb Astros 18u team under Coach Kevin Baldwin. Throwing across the diamond at 93 mph, Young primarily plays shortstop, but signed with Chattahoochee Valley for pitching. With 32 strikeouts and two wins, he contributed to all 11 wins for NC’s 2018 baseball season.

Commiting to a college took the weight off of Young’s shoulders and will ease the stress of senior year. With the pressure of college sports, Coach Guerry Baldwin helped Young stay focused throughout his baseball career.  

courtesy of Cady Studios
Wearing number seven for the NC baseball team, Young takes his senior pictures in uniform to get ready for his upcoming senior season on the field.

Former NC player Debo Sharp influenced Young’s baseball career. Young and Sharp played on the field together for 2 years.

“My freshman year, he [Debo] took me under his wing and acted like a big brother to me,” Young said.

With parents that both played sports at Division I colleges, Young knew he wanted to continue his trade at the college level.

“My dad wanted me to play baseball in college and they just wanted me to do whatever made me happy,” Young said.

Young hopes to lead Chattahoochee Valley to more wins in the upcoming 2020 baseball season with his versatility and immense skill.

“I am going there to pitch and play shortstop, which I feel is more helpful to the team,” Young said.

As one of the best community colleges in the nation—ranked number one in the ACCC—Chattahoochee Valley recruited Young to play during the 2020 spring baseball season. Receiving a scholarship to play under head coach Adam Thomas, Young cannot wait to play as their new pitcher and shortstop.

Dehlin Lee, Reporter, Photographer

Dehlin Lee, a sophmore, begins her journey on The Chant to expose her to a whole new world of photography and writing. Lee aspires to be a Pediatric Orthodontist...