Remembering Parkland: One year later

One+year+after+Marjory+Stoneman+Douglas+High+School+became+another+victim+of+a+mass+shooting%2C+March+for+Our+Lives+continues+to+fight+against+gun+violence%2C+taking+major+steps+to+make+a+necessary+change.++This+day+should+not+only+count+as+an+opportunity+to+spread+love+but+to+remember+the+lives+lost+during+this+tragic+event%3A+Alyssa+Alhadeff%2C+Scott+Beigel%2C+Martin+Duque%2C+Nicholas+Dworet%2C+Aaron+Feis%2C+Jamie+Guttenberg%2C+Chris+Hixon%2C+Luke+Hoyer%2C+Cara+Loughran%2C+Gina+Montalto%2C+Joaquin+Oliver%2C+Alaina+Petty%2C+Meadow+Pollack%2C+Helena+Ramsey%2C+Alex+Schachter%2C+Carmen+Schentrup%2C+and+Peter+Wang.+

Remembering Parkland: One year later

One year after Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School became another victim of a mass shooting, March for Our Lives continues to fight against gun violence, taking major steps to make a necessary change.  This day should not only count as an opportunity to spread love but to remember the lives lost during this tragic event: Alyssa Alhadeff, Scott Beigel, Martin Duque, Nicholas Dworet, Aaron Feis, Jamie Guttenberg, Chris Hixon, Luke Hoyer, Cara Loughran, Gina Montalto, Joaquin Oliver, Alaina Petty, Meadow Pollack, Helena Ramsey, Alex Schachter, Carmen Schentrup, and Peter Wang.

One year after Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School became another victim of a mass shooting, March for Our Lives continues to fight against gun violence, taking major steps to make a necessary change. This day should not only count as an opportunity to spread love but to remember the lives lost during this tragic event: Alyssa Alhadeff, Scott Beigel, Martin Duque, Nicholas Dworet, Aaron Feis, Jamie Guttenberg, Chris Hixon, Luke Hoyer, Cara Loughran, Gina Montalto, Joaquin Oliver, Alaina Petty, Meadow Pollack, Helena Ramsey, Alex Schachter, Carmen Schentrup, and Peter Wang.

Photo courtesy of March for Our Lives Instagram

Nati Duron, Photographer, Report

Students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School(MSD) woke up on Valentine’s Day last year excited to spread love to friends and teachers. As students walked in the building, they could buy roses and chocolates for friends; the school clubs waited all semester long to set up their pink and red heart-themed tables and sell gifts.

Soon enough, love turned into hate. An expelled student from MSD walked in the building carrying an AR-15 rifle and took the lives of three teachers and 14 students; 17 people never left the building, and MSD now fights to ensure a tragedy like this never happens again. After one year, students at MSD continue to fight for gun control and the right for a safe life so that this Valentine’s Day, love defeats hate.

Traumatized and determined, alumni and current students Emma Gonzalez, David Hoggs,  Cameron Kasky, Jaclyn Corin, Sarah Chadwick, Alex Wind formed March For Our Lives and Never Again MSD after the shooting. After months of constant government neglect and lack of regulation, the students managed to help enact 67 new laws, passed by both Democratic and Republican legislators, in one year.

“It’s been crazy to see people who are mourning those who passed away in [the school]. Seeing it not be forgotten and for it to be continued to be talked about is so important for change,” junior and gun-control activist Jordan Ross said.

According to March For Our Lives’ Instagram, in commemoration of the 17 victims of the shooting, they will be “going dark” on social media until February 17. Their inactivity represents a moment of silence for the lives lost.

“I think it’s important for [the students] to step back from social media because all they will be seeing is reminders of [the shooting] over and over again, and since they live that every day, it’s a good and respectful idea,”  Ross said.

The organizations emphasized the importance of the 2018 midterm elections, and because of it, young voters helped make this election monumental, as it became the highest turnout in history. These voters helped highlight the need for gun reform laws, and their activism led people to an emphasis on gun safety.

One year later, March for our lives continues to fight for this important cause that still proves as a major problem in society. According to March for our lives around 400 people in the U.S will die from gun violence in a matter of three days. This shocking statistic proves the importance of people continuing to fight for this change.

Nati Duron, Videographer/reporter

Nati Duron, a senior at NC, is a videographer and reporter for The Chant, likes to write about saving dogs from Petland and make videos about conspiracies....