Fastpitch softball senior night kicks off with win against North Paulding

Senior Casey Page hugs her team member junior Taylor Krause lovingly with the flower bouquet that was provided by her team mates.

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

Sarah Sutley, Reporter

The Lady Warrior softball team kicked off their impressive senior night with a come-from-behind win against the North Paulding Wolfpack, securing their spot in the region championship, on October 3.

“Senior night was bittersweet. I can’t believe this was my last regular season game, it just hasn’t sunk in yet. I credit my teammates, coaches, and fellow seniors for all they have done to make this season memorable,” senior Akilah Alwan said.

After experiencing a two-run deficit entering the 6th inning, the Warriors prevailed, scoring three in the bottom half of the inning. The explosive inning began with a single by senior third baseman Kayla Trumbull, who later scored on an RBI double by junior left fielder McKenzie Krause. Sophomore right fielder Iman Muhammad and pinch runner senior Akilah Alwan also contributed to the impressive scoring run. The Lady Warriors recorded a shutout seventh inning, with the final out of the game executed by senior first baseman Carli Troutman.

North Paulding Pitcher, Elizabeth Shively, pitches to junior Taylor Krause.
Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

“My senior season has been one of my favorite and this game was a perfect way to wrap up the regular season. I can’t wait to see how far we can go in the state playoffs and I want to give thanks to everyone who made this night special for the seniors,” senior Kayla Trumbull said.

The Lady Warriors showed strong resilience and determination throughout the game, out-hitting their opponent 10 to 8. Senior pitcher Olivia Mould once again recorded the win, improving her record heading into postseason play.

“This was such an impressive win for our team. The energy in the dugout was lively and upbeat the entire game and the senior ceremony following the game was really cute. I can’t even express the thanks I have towards Coach Weaver and the entire team for taking me under their wing for these four years. It’s been an honor to be a part of this program,” senior manager Peyton Reid said.

The night concluded with an emotional ceremony, recognizing eight seniors. Each walked across the field with their families as accomplishments and college plans were read aloud to the fans. Each senior, presented with flowers and posters, appreciated the recognition for their contributions to the successful NC fastpitch program.

Junior Mackenzie Krause gives senior Josie Elder a squeeze as she not only did she play a good game that night but  will be attending Washington University in St. Louis Fall 2015.
Tarleshia Jean-Pierre
Junior Mackenzie Krause gives senior Josie Elder a squeeze as she not only did she play a good game that night but will be attending Washington University in St. Louis Fall 2015.