All that glitters: NC winter guard

All that glitters: NC winter guard

Over this past weekend, the NC varsity winter guard and Cadets teams performed for the second time since January. With a new coach came unexpected twists and turns and a different style of work; however, the team adjusted to the change seamlessly and will continue to strive for greatness.

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp, Entertainment Editor

NC’s varsity and Cadet winter guard teams participated in their second competition of the year at Kell High School this past Saturday, March 9. The experience gave both teams feedback on their shows titled Home and Glitter in the Air.

“This competition went pretty well, and I’m really looking forward to the rest of our upcoming competitions because this one has proven that we are only going to improve and get better,” junior Ashlynne Whitlock said.

The Cadets performed at 10:49 in the morning against six other talented teams, like the North Paulding Cadets, West Cobb Cadets, and Cleveland Middle School. After a performance filled with glitter and glitz, the Cadet team ended the day as second overall in the Cadet B class. They scored 69.870 out of 100.00.

“The way they approached their performance was a true embodiment of the title of the show Glitter in the Air. The flag work and dancing aspects of the show were attacked with confidence, and the rifle portion was backed by power with each move they made,” junior Abbey Blosser said.

The varsity team took the floor at 2:04 in the afternoon with their show Home. After a one month hiatus from performing, the team brought their best with a show that manifested their talent and skill. They competed against teams such as Gilmer High School, Woodstock High School, and Decatur High School— all tough rivals in the division. Overall, the team tied with Lanier High School JV for fourth place with a score of 73.120 out of 100.00.

“I feel like we placed very well for our show not being complete. I’m excited for our next competition because now we know what we need to fix, so we can show up and show out,” sophomore Savannah Blanco said.

As they prepare for their next competition at Chattahoochee High School, both teams look forward to making their shows better and impressing the crowd on March 16. Winter guard fans can catch the Cadets and Varsity team at their next competition, as well as Southern Association for Performance Arts (SAPA) championships, on March 30 and 31.