Senate votes against Trump impeachment charges, ending the trial

courtesy of USAToday

President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial made history, as he became only the third U.S President in history to face impeachment. After endless scandals and arguments, the Senate voted to acquit Trump on both charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. Seeing as he still remains in office, Trump can still run for President again in the 2020 elections.

Jessica Joachim, News Editor

On September 23, 2019 Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi put forward a motion of a formal impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump. The scandal surrounding Trump’s call with Ukraine to find information on Democratic presidential opponent Joe Biden prompted Pelosi to call for the process, which was authorized by the House on October 31. The House of Representatives, (where Democrats hold a majority) later decided to move forward with the trial.

The impeachment process officially began, wherein the House decided to hold charges against Trump on counts of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. Later on December 18, the House voted against Trump and the trial moved along to the Senate. 

Prior to Trump’s impeachment, only two other individuals have faced impeachment in United States history: Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. President Trump’s impeachment made history as the first U.S President to gather the most votes against him in the House.

On Wednesday, February 5, the Senate decided to acquit President Trump on both charges of abuse and obstruction of Congress. Only one Republican, Senator Mitt Romney of Utah decided against his party and voted to convict Donald Trump of the charges.

After news of the trial broke out, Speaker Pelosi took to Twitter to express her opinion.

“Our Founders put safeguards in the Constitution to protect against a rogue president. They never imagined that they would at the same time have a rogue leader in the Senate who would cowardly abandon his duty to uphold the Constitution,” Pelosi said. 

NC students gained the ability to witness the rare and historical moment of an impeachment trial. As the Senate failed to impeach Donald Trump, he continues to remain in office. With his position in place secured for the rest of his term, he still stands a chance for reelection in the upcoming 2020 Presidential elections.