Faded Quarantine Fads

Amber Roldan

With a grueling, nation-wide three month quarantine, Americans participated in numerous elaborate trends that disappeared just as fast as they emerged. From documentaries about an eccentric zookeeper to endless amounts of baked banana goods, Americans discovered new ways to occupy their excessive amounts of free time.

Amber Roldan, Features Editor

March 13, 2020, marks an infamous day in history when friends and family members hugged each other one last time, unknowingly saying their goodbyes. Students and teachers walked out the doors of their beloved schools indefinitely. After this date, America transitioned into a time of a nationwide quarantine. Society abstained from their daily routines and the normalities that once dictated their lives. This unprecedented transition into self-isolation caused many fads to emerge in order to entertain Americans during this period of time.

Netflix

While making its first appearance in the streaming realm in 2007, Netflix boomed during America’s state of quarantine.  The prominent streaming network gained 16 million new subscribers doubling its estimated quarterly growth. With millions of Americans stuck at home in the months of March through July, trendy shows quickly took over the streaming world. Starting with All American, young adults binge-watched the entire second season of the popular CW show. Teens obsessing over the show quickly expressed their affinity towards the beloved characters on the popular video-based app TikTok. Like most series, the hype surrounding the show died down after a couple of weeks with the release of the Netflix original docu-series, Tiger King. America went into a frenzy and immediately fixated their attention towards the controversial life of Joe Exotic, the esteemed Tiger King.  

Baking

In addition to endlessly binge-watching trendy Netflix shows, Americans indulged in baking antics during quarantine to help pass time. Baking became such a widespread hobby that simple ingredients such as sugar and flour became commodities. Out of all the delicious baked goods,  Americans appeared to favor banana bread. While no apparent rhyme or reason surfaced to this favoritism, the delicious smell of banana bread filled kitchens around America easing the harsh realities imposed by a pandemic. 

Art

When found outside the kitchen, Americans let their creativity run wild during quarantine and participated in numerous artistic endeavors. From painting canvases to creating elaborate sidewalk chalk creations, NC students enjoyed spending their copious amounts of free time enjoying art-related activities. However, with the return of academics students slowly begin to refocus their attention towards literature and mathematics as opposed to acrylic paints and paintbrushes.

“Painting gave me something different to do during the quarantine. I never painted much before but I’ve always loved making art. So learning how to paint helped pass time,” Junior Kenna Armitage said.

Whipped Coffee

With coffee shops around the country closed during quarantine, caffeine addicts learned how to create their own coffee creations from home. This sparked the overwhelming trend of Dalgona Coffee. Using only three ingredients, ordinary cups of coffee transformed into beautiful drinks. Sugar, hot water, and instant coffee combined creating not only the perfect cup of coffee but the perfect quarantine activity.

“Making whipped coffee gave me something to do when I woke up in the mornings. When I initially tried it, it added something to my day during a time when every day felt the same. I started making it so often that it became a part of my daily quarantine routine,” Junior Angelina Sisoupon said.    

With quarantine restrictions lifted, these trends begin to disappear as life begins to return to the normality society experienced preceding March 13th. Americans will always view quarantine as a dark time in history when social media convinced them to take part in elaborate trends that would cease to exist without shelter in place regulations.