The PlayStation 5

The+release+of+the+PlayStation+5+on+November+12th%2C+2020%2C+marked+a+revolutionary+day+in+the+history+of+PlayStation+consoles.+The+PlayStation+5%2C+the+newest+and+most+innovative+PlayStation+to+date%2C+so+far+upholds+a+high+reputation+among+PlayStation+users.+%E2%80%9CI+hope+the+ps5+lives+up+to+all+my+expectations+and+holds+the+hype%2C%E2%80%9D+NC+Sophomore+Ayden+Williams+said.+

Courtesy of Sony

The release of the PlayStation 5 on November 12th, 2020, marked a revolutionary day in the history of PlayStation consoles. The PlayStation 5, the newest and most innovative PlayStation to date, so far upholds a high reputation among PlayStation users. “I hope the ps5 lives up to all my expectations and holds the hype,” NC Sophomore Ayden Williams said.

Beth Hudson, Reporter

Since the first PlayStation console’s release in the early 1990s, the PlayStation system has progressed a long way. On November 12, 2020, Sony released the latest PlayStation console, the PlayStation 5. This marked seven years after the release of the PlayStation 4. The PlayStation 5 also debuted with the PULSE 3D wireless headset, DualSense wireless controller, PlayStation 5 DualSense Charging station, PlayStation 5 HD Camera and the PlayStation 5 Media Remote. 

The PlayStation 5 includes ray tracing, 4K-TV gaming and more features to enhance the graphics and gameplay unlike any other PlayStation console to date. The new DualSense Wireless Controller continues to innovate with features such as Haptic feedback, Adaptive triggers, a Built-in microphone and headset jack and the create button. The create button essentially lets Playstation 5 users broadcast their own gameplay for others to watch.  

“My expectations are super high for the [PlayStation 5]. The games look amazing and the controller is so good,” NC sophomore Ayden Williams said.  

Games that debuted with the system included Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Bugsnax, Demonsouls and the pre-downloaded game Astro’s Playroom. Games to look forward to in the future include Horizon Forbidden West, EA Sports FIFA 21, Hogwarts Legacy, Final Fantasy XVI and more.  

“[I would want to play] Spiderman. Miles Morales spider-man is one of my favorite heroes,” Williams said.

In response to COVID-19 Sony decided to exclusively sell the PlayStation 5 online to limit any possible spread of the virus. The majority of shoppers that went to retailers on November 12th to get their PlayStation 5 already pre-ordered their console during